Impressed so far

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
Vapourer

Impressed so far

Postby Vapourer » 21 Jul 2017 19:47

Hi

I'm a happy Solydk user in the UK.

I've been using Linux for over 2 years now and am confident with the basics but very aware that I'm still learning. I'm really enjoying the process, takes me back 20+ years when computing on the PC was a hobby as well as practical. Makes me realise how much MS had smothered everything.

I just don't understand distro-hopping. I got bitten by it as well and want to escape it but it feels hard like giving up smoking. I started the habit while I was trying to decide which distro was best for me when Mint seemed unrewarding. I can't remember all the distros I installed and tried for a few days. After a number of months I realised that the desktop was the first thing to decide and then the distro would be easier to identify. This dawned on me when I tried a plasma 5 based distro and thought that I had found my home. But that was Manjaro and after a few months it all went wrong and updates stopped installing with dependency conflicts. I've always wanted to use debian and have tried but it is not newbie-friendly, then I found Solydk about a year ago and that seemed to be debian for people like me but I couldn't use plasma 4 having spent some time with 5. So I have been back using Manjaro (and Mint during Manjaro down-times) and that has been OK but the stability or other issues arise every few months - e.g. KDE seem to be on a development surge and have just introduced some changes that have disrupted my workflow and caused me problems. Meanwhile I waited for debian Stretch to become stable so that I could use Solydk. And I waited and I waited for months.

Finally it is here and I am happy with first impressions. There are a few things that I would prefer were different - can I get the standard KDE menu?, can I get the KDE shutdown screen back? I wish these were options - but I'm hoping that I will learn to live with it and stop searching for the perfect distro.

Finally, sincere thanks to the Solyd team for all the work that you do on our behalf. Not sure if donations are working any more but I will make a small contribution if they are.

Vapourer

Re: Impressed so far

Postby Vapourer » 21 Jul 2017 20:16

And I've already resolved the menu question, so I'm even happier.

dwaynejohnson

Postby dwaynejohnson » 24 Jul 2017 07:19

Welcome to the forum:)

koesherbacon

Postby koesherbacon » 19 Oct 2017 21:41

I also like distro hopping. If you read my intro you'll see why I was distro hopping until I found SolydX. Even though SolydX has won the privilege of being my primary OS, I have a partition of 32GIB just for testing other distros. I find that using a second partiton just for testing distros helps me see exactly why I chose SolydXK over other distros. Every time I see something that further cements that I chose the right distro for my needs.
〜 Ev

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 21 Oct 2017 12:36

Another way to distro hop or test is to use Virtualbox or some Virtual program. As long as you have some extra disk space and memory.

Return to “Introduce yourself”