SolydXK on Social Media

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!

Should SolydXK be represented on Facebook

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 17

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

SolydXK on Social Media

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 22 Mar 2018 10:34

I'm using Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to get my news blogs into the social networks. When I started it it was convenient (I just have to blog a message and Wordpress pushes those messages to these social media) and it's something everybody does. I know these companies don't have much respect for our privacy but I'm not blogging anything personal and all attention to the project is good, right?

With yet another Facebook scandal I'm doubting whether it is a good thing that SolydXK is represented on Facebook (or any social media for that matter). We spend a lot of time and effort to further protect the privacy of our users and that effort seems contradictory to what the social media intend.

I think this might be an interesting discussion to have here but to narrow the discussion down I'd like to limit myself to the use of Facebook (although in a broader sense this could be about all social media). Let's kick off with a poll.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ScottQuier

Re: SolydXK on Social Media

Postby ScottQuier » 22 Mar 2018 13:08

If one can believe what's written at these two URLs: I see this not so much as Facebook abusing it's users but a case of Facebook failing, in 2014 and earlier, of failing to control app developers and their apps. The steps Zukerberg has outlined should significantly improve the situation.

However, cynic in me forces me to ponder the questions, "How much of what has happened did Facebook know about before last week?" and "How much of what Zukerberg posted is nothing more than an attempt at damage control?"

All that having been said, I don't see any harm to be had by leveraging Facebook to your purpose assuming, as you've said, your posted content is non-personal and does not contain any Personally Identifiable Information (PII).

In the general case, it would be prudent to investigate the data protection policies of any social media outlet being considered for such publication.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 22 Mar 2018 19:22

I think the visibility factor is the determinant. Assuming that the social media accounts are locked down as much as possible, and the amount of information available in the account is limited.
One headline I saw this week, "Don't delete Facebook, just be smart when using it"

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

tek10

Postby tek10 » 23 Mar 2018 01:04

While I voted no, since I have absolutely no use for Facebook and only as a last resort look up information on it, there are many peolpe who use it as their "go to source." After further thought, a basic info page that directs those interested in learning more to the SolydXK websight couldn't hurt.

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 23 Mar 2018 03:09

I think social media posts are good, for the SolydXK project, and the Linux world as well.
Exposure is always good, unless the goal is some sort of isolation... as in private club, but I doubt you folks want that.

sure FaceBook and all the rest harvest data, all that they can. Anyone looking to promote their cause would be expected to take advantage of it. Just don't put something out on the web if you want it to be "private" (or in a internet connected computer).

BTW: I don't come here (this forum) much, but saw this thread in my feed reader, and it caught my interest.
Peter E

ilu

Postby ilu » 23 Mar 2018 06:37

Exposure is always good, ...
With that reasoning governments post on Facebook, political parties do, the police does, sport clubs do and so on. They all help feeding the dragon. Sometimes we should stick to our values. I voted no - no surprise there :-)

patzy

Postby patzy » 23 Mar 2018 09:59

I don't use facebook and have no intention of ever posting anything on it.
I just find it plain irritating.....

So I voted no. :!:

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 24 Mar 2018 13:40

We suffer from unsolicited telephone calls often with accents from the Indian sub-continent.
The guilty parties are probably using information gleaned/stolen from the telephone company.

I object to anybody having any more information about me than they need. (Payment details, delivery address, perhaps telephone number and that is all for internet purchases.) Any other details are prying or gathering information to sell.

If I choose to unsubscribe I will jump through the necessary hoops and I will get a message that I have been unsubscribed.
What does this message mean?
I think it means that they have corrupted the file address of my subscription and no more - so I am not unsubscribed I have merely lost a label.
Many of you will be aware of that sinking feeling when you 'unsubscribe ' a partition and the elation when you manage to find that it is still there deep .down.

Media sites are not for me. Perhaps I am a pessimist but perhaps I am a wise pessimist.
Do you think that Facebook will diligently wipe all the unsubscribe files?

martin welsh

ilu

Postby ilu » 25 Mar 2018 03:19

mhwelsh wrote:Do you think that Facebook will diligently wipe all the unsubscribe files?
Of course not. Data means money and, even more importantly, data means power and nobody will wipe anything.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 25 Mar 2018 16:49

I do not use Facebook etc etc but lots of people do and when I mention Linux 'um what's that' and SolYdXK ' a what ' is the response I get in the real world so for them hearing about or reading about SolYdXK and Linux in a blog might help them to learn that there is more than butterflies ( MS ) and apples (Mac) and that the data collected is never ever wiped deleted no that's good oil for them.
So yes a social media blog is good to spread the word about SolYdXK well the governments police and state emergency services down here all go in there to spread the information when the weather turns really bad ( cyclones , bushfires ) so why not have SolydXK / Linux information instead of just talk just about butterflies and apples so to get the ones that are curious and or fed up with the OS they use why not.
As ilu mentioned it's all feeding the dragon sooo be careful and don't make eye contact

edit= just looked at top of page and only 10 votes hopefully in a weeks time there will be a lot more I do think That This is a big step up for SolYdXK

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 26 Mar 2018 08:09

in general I believe more media channel is better. as a distro it should be better if both user and developer could easily interact each other. thus, having a social media IMO is a good option.

I think we need to separate the Facebook scandal with this one. I do agree that using facebook might not the best option but there's no user privacy issue on the user side.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 05 Apr 2018 16:54

A bit late, but I just got back.

I do use twitter myself, but even before Zuckertorte called his users "dumb f*cks", I had decided I didn't want anything to do with faecesbook.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Apr 2018 08:09

Last Sunday this was on TV :lol:
https://youtu.be/ysa-SzNepsA

It's Dutch but you can enable English caption.
Warning: it might not be for the verbally sensitive watcher ;)

Now, I'm working on a new server (in Europe), new site (but with this forum) and I've decided to delete SolydXK's Facebook account as soon as we go over to the new server.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 16 Apr 2018 03:09

Thank you for the link Schoelje so true and funny in parts and yeah a bit verbal as expected with an issue that invokes distrust & maybe even anger at facebook and others similar
also a lot of things just glossed over were very true , the sharing of facebook data with the government agencies , the data is never ever completely deleted, we all knew that, never really leave facebook just the account not the data collection
I was not aware of how big huge even the amount of money made by facebook but also the scale of wealth of zukerberg has from being a um ( insert word here ) collector of other people property .
I wonder how many people will have their trust levels in fellow human beings lowered to even lower trust levels because of the things mark zukerberg and others just like him do for money

( slightly off topic ) I do have a Question about the Bots googlebot bingbot I have noticed that they are everywhere this site as well what it the purpose of this bots , Does this also feed the data collection Beast and to what extent ?
Does anyone really know what they are up to these bots ?

I will end with This quote from famous musician Jimi Hendrix

" When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace "

seems appropriate even 50 years later

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 16 Apr 2018 14:34

( slightly off topic ) I do have a Question about the Bots googlebot bingbot I have noticed that they are everywhere this site as well what it the purpose of this bots , Does this also feed the data collection Beast and to what extent ?
Does anyone really know what they are up to these bots?

they're called crawler or spider. they collect data from every websites which intended for public. if you ever wonder where did google search got the search result, these crawlers are the answer. there are several differences between this crawler and facebook. first of all, these crawler collect public data. let's make an example of a restaurant. the crawler collect public information such as, what is the name of the restaurant, when did it open, or what is their menu. there's no privacy concern on these kind of information.

OTOH, facebook collect personal data such as, who visit the restaurant, when did they come, and what did they eat.

that being said, it doesn't mean that google is safe for your privacy. aside from the crawler google also spread tracker almost everywhere. while google said that these tracker doesn't collect personal information, they potentially could do that silently. even if the tracker didn't directly used to collect personal data, the data could be used to track someone.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 16 Apr 2018 14:47

OK thanks for that Kurotsugi
So much going on and so much done on the quite , seriously it's like some B grade sci-fi movie gee wiz

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 22 Apr 2018 03:48

That was a good read Thanks ilu and confirms what a lot of people think about him , mark Z won't be long before he joins the rest of the liars in suits opps politicians

jamorgan93

Postby jamorgan93 » 08 May 2018 05:12

This is indeed a good read, thank you for sharing it with us.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”