Breeze-Dark-X style no longer works for YouTube

Questions about software.
albert.wagner

Breeze-Dark-X style no longer works for YouTube

Postby albert.wagner » 28 Jul 2018 14:35

Breeze-Dark-X style no longer works in YouTube when solydx_9_64_201807.iso replaces solydx_9_64_201801-2.iso.
Can this be fixed? My eyes don't like bright lights.

ilu

Re: Breeze-Dark-X style no longer works for YouTube

Postby ilu » 28 Jul 2018 19:01

The installation you did with solydx_9_64_201801-2.iso still shows the expected style? And all sites other than youtube still work as expected?
I'd guess youtube changed something. Logged into youtube or not? Same browser? Maybe copy the working browser profile (cookies included) to the machine where it doesn't work - still not working?

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 29 Jul 2018 15:49

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. Temporarily replaced .mozilla on machine with broken Breeze-Dark-X with copy of .mozilla from machine with working Breeze-Dark-X. It now works. How about all of the new changes made to Firefox in latest iso? If changes were made to YouTube then it should show up in the earlier installation, and it doesn't. The only thing changed is Firefox.

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Jul 2018 17:11

I'd guess it's a youtube cookie. They sometimes change their GUI and control that with cookies.

I don't think there were any changes to Breeze-Dark-X in the latest ISO. There were changes to Firefox, induced by security and privacy issues, which are important. I don't think they affected styles. Youtube cookies affect styles though.

If it works with your old profile just use that.

albert.wagner

Postby albert.wagner » 30 Jul 2018 01:26

Apparently, if I want Breeze-Dark-X to work also with YouTube, then I must not update/upgrade Firefox. Not really a solution, but only a temporary fix.
I doubt that I am the only one using it, so I'll wait awhile to see.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Jul 2018 10:08

I need to see what's different. So, I setup SolydX with the Breeze-Dark-X theme and loaded youtube with the default Firefox ESR:
Screenshot_ffesr.jpg

Then I upgraded to the latest Firefox 61.0.1:
Screenshot_ff61.jpg

I don't know how it looked for you, but I think this was the look I was expecting.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

tardy

Postby tardy » 30 Jul 2018 12:41

Albert, is it possible that you were using YouTube's built-in dark theme and now, for some reason, it's no longer in use? The dark theme is only selectable if you are logged in to YouTube. When you say your eyes don't like bright lights, I'm thinking that perhaps you had this theme activated.

System themes don't darken YouTube itself, only the borders of the window.

There are also several userscripts that apply a dark theme to YT, as well as browser extensions. I use one of the extensions myself, as I prefer not to log in to the Tube. My eyes don't like bright lights either.

Using the extension Dark Theme for YouTube 0.1.8, this is what it looks like in Firefox for me, no login necessary:
Attachments
YT-dark.png
YT-dark.png (164.81 KiB) Viewed 2020 times

Return to “Software”