Two monitor issues

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
xendistar

Two monitor issues

Postby xendistar » 07 Jan 2019 20:25

After a very frustrating weekend trying to get my two monitors setup I have now got them working at about 90% correctly, my biggest issue being a faulty DVI lead which would not allow me to set the screen resolution to the correct size, swapped it for a HDMI lead and I now have a 3840x1080 display. But unfortunately I have a minor issues

I run conky which is 50mm wide strip that fits between the bottom of the panel and the bottom of the screen (I run my panel at the top of the screen). I have the option to align top left or align top right, before the twin monitors it used to sit nicely on the right edge of the screen. But now top right shows a thin narrow strip down the right had side (or the right hand monitor) of the screen with the majority missing off the screen. Top left leaves it about12mmb in from the lefthand side of the right hand monitor. I would prefer top left to be far left on the lefthand screen and top right to display the full conky of the far right of the right screen.

Any thoughs?

ilu

Re: Two monitor issues

Postby ilu » 08 Jan 2019 08:39

You are on SolydX, right? (Please always mention this, I can't always remember.) I don't use conky so I can't support you but - in case anybody else knows more - I think a picture would be good or a drawing. You've described the situation but I'd need to make a drawing to understand it :-).

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 08 Jan 2019 18:27

Yes SolydX, sorry meant to write that.

The image show a cut down screen grab of my right hand monitor
conky-issue.jpg
The left side of the above image shows the lefthand side of my right hand monitor (e.g. the middle of my extended 3840 x 1080 display). That is not bad cutting and pasting with the small gap on the left side of conky it sits about 9mm from the edge of the desktop

Below is the code from .conkyrc for aligning the image

Code: Select all

alignment = 'top_left'
The above image also show the right handside of my monitor and though the image is small you can just make out the small section of conky being displayed

The code for the alignment of conky on the right is.

Code: Select all

alignment = 'top_right'
Bear in mind that this is my right hand monitor, if I wanted to align it left I would want it on the far left of the lefthand screen, not wear it is which is basically in the middle of the screen.

You will also notice how conky is creeping under the panel at the top on my screen (I run my panel at the top of the screen across both screens), quite a few programs are doing that so if you know of a fix for that as well please.

The only reason I am using Conky is when the fresh install gkrellm was not available so looking for alternatives I found the conky script I am using now, but If I can not get it sorted then I think I will dump it and go back to gkrellm

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 21 May 2019 10:50

I run conky which is 50mm wide strip that fits between the bottom of the panel and the bottom of the screen (I run my panel at the top of the screen). I have the option to align top left or align top right, before the twin monitors it used to sit nicely on the right edge of the screen. But now top right shows a thin narrow strip down the right had side (or the right hand monitor) of the screen with the majority missing off the screen. Top left leaves it about12mmb in from the lefthand side of the right hand monitor. I would prefer top left to be far left on the lefthand screen and top right to display the full conky of the far right of the right screen.

Any thoughs?
In your conky.rc you can use the following commands : gap_y = and gap_x =

Then you put in a positive or negative value. The unit is pixel.

For instance, gap_x = 100 will move your conky 100 pixels to the right, whereas of course, gap_x = -100 will move it to the left.

Here is the manual : http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html

I hope I understood the question correctly, and that the answer will help you !

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 21 May 2019 10:54

After a very frustrating weekend trying to get my two monitors setup I have now got them working at about 90% correctly, my biggest issue being a faulty DVI lead which would not allow me to set the screen resolution to the correct size, swapped it for a HDMI lead and I now have a 3840x1080 display.
I have had a such «problem», which only occurred when I installed the nvidia driver from my graphic card. To get rid of this huge display and to go back to two normal displays, I have had to uninstall nvidia and go back to nouveau, the free driver.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 21 May 2019 16:23

Hi Amnesix, thanks for the info, gave up with Conky as I simply found it to big, went back to running gkrellm

Return to “Testing Zone”