[How To]Installing applications from the server

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
jsvenancio

[How To]Installing applications from the server

Postby jsvenancio » 18 Jan 2019 23:07

[PT]
Boa noite.

Estive algum tempo sem usar a distro SolydX, mas estou de volta.

Pretendo instalar algumas aplicações a partir do servidor do SolydXK, mas com as atualizações que não acompanhei acabei de perceber que a ferramenta (Software Manager) foi descontinuada.

A minha questão é como faço para instalar aplicações a partir do servidor do SolydXK?
O que veio substituir o Software Manager?

[EN]
Good night.

I've been for some time without using the distro SolydX, but I'm back.

I plan to install some applications from the SolydXK server, but with the updates that I did not follow I just noticed that the tool (Software Manager) was discontinued.

My question is how do I install applications from the SolydXK server?
What has replaced Software Manager?
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Portuguese and use the Google translator.

tek10

Re: [How To]Installing applications from the server

Postby tek10 » 19 Jan 2019 01:23

Use Synaptic Package Manager. It's very easy to use if you know the names of the packages you want to install. I prefer it over the older package manager.
There's also Packages in the System menu.

jsvenancio

Postby jsvenancio » 19 Jan 2019 13:32

Sometimes the problem is knowing exactly which packages to install from Synaptic.
tek10 wrote:
19 Jan 2019 01:23
Use Synaptic Package Manager. It's very easy to use if you know the names of the packages you want to install. I prefer it over the older package manager.
There's also Packages in the System menu.
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 19 Jan 2019 17:17

jsvenancio wrote:
19 Jan 2019 13:32
Sometimes the problem is knowing exactly which packages to install from Synaptic.
Hi jsvenancio, try having a read of the link below

Code: Select all

https://dflinux.frama.io/thebeginnershandbook/lcdd08-administration/
It not only covers Synatic's but also Apt as well, it does go on to other package managers which are not in SolydXK but it will give you a good basic understanding.

In regards to what programs to download that really depends on two things, are you looking for a specific program to do do xyz or are you looking for updates for your current installation.

If you are looking for a program and you know the name of it (lets say libreoffice) then you simply look through Synaptic until you find the name right click on the name and select "Mark for Installation" when you do this SolydXK well then selected a bunch of (other) required programs that will once installed give you the basic of the running program. There will be loads it does not install but they are best left unless A) you know you need that program (as you have installed it before) or B) you find an issue with one of the programs option that does not fully work as you require and when you ask other about your issue they recommend that you install program ABC (a spell checking file in a certain language for example)

In regards to Updates and upgrades, when you open Synaptics, if you click on the Status Button (Lower left) and then click on the reload button (top left on toolbar) . Reload will check with the Debian & SolydXK server to ensure that Synaptic has the latest updates available. Synaptic will then check its list of available files and versions against what you have installed and then provide a list of files that require to be updated on your PV to be up to date with the current version. If you look above the Status button you (and there are files to upgrade) a line that says "Installed (upgradeable)" you click on that line it will show you a list of files that will be upgraded.

This is a very simplistic view but once you have used Synaptics a few times you will become more experienced with it and find it does not bite you very often. When it does, ask questions before blindly carrying on ;)

jsvenancio

Postby jsvenancio » 19 Jan 2019 22:36

Thank you.
Your response will help you a lot.

xendistar wrote:
19 Jan 2019 17:17

Hi jsvenancio, try having a read of the link below

Code: Select all

https://dflinux.frama.io/thebeginnershandbook/lcdd08-administration/
It not only covers Synatic's but also Apt as well, it does go on to other package managers which are not in SolydXK but it will give you a good basic understanding.

In regards to what programs to download that really depends on two things, are you looking for a specific program to do do xyz or are you looking for updates for your current installation.

If you are looking for a program and you know the name of it (lets say libreoffice) then you simply look through Synaptic until you find the name right click on the name and select "Mark for Installation" when you do this SolydXK well then selected a bunch of (other) required programs that will once installed give you the basic of the running program. There will be loads it does not install but they are best left unless A) you know you need that program (as you have installed it before) or B) you find an issue with one of the programs option that does not fully work as you require and when you ask other about your issue they recommend that you install program ABC (a spell checking file in a certain language for example)

In regards to Updates and upgrades, when you open Synaptics, if you click on the Status Button (Lower left) and then click on the reload button (top left on toolbar) . Reload will check with the Debian & SolydXK server to ensure that Synaptic has the latest updates available. Synaptic will then check its list of available files and versions against what you have installed and then provide a list of files that require to be updated on your PV to be up to date with the current version. If you look above the Status button you (and there are files to upgrade) a line that says "Installed (upgradeable)" you click on that line it will show you a list of files that will be upgraded.

This is a very simplistic view but once you have used Synaptics a few times you will become more experienced with it and find it does not bite you very often. When it does, ask questions before blindly carrying on ;)
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

Return to “Newbie Questions”