Ancestris Genealogy program

Questions about software.
Don_in_Vermont

Ancestris Genealogy program

Postby Don_in_Vermont » 12 Mar 2019 13:34

I am interested in genealogy and am trying to install "Ancestris" from Ancestris.org. It comes in a .deb package and I am using GDEBI package installer but can't seem to get it installed. Assistance appreciated. I am running Distribution Solydxee.
Don

nuts2u

Re: Ancestris Genealogy program

Postby nuts2u » 12 Mar 2019 13:57

It is an Ubuntu program. You can't install Ubumtu specific programs in Debian, which solydxee is based on. Probably some dependencies that are not resolvable. Just a guess.....

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

Don_in_Vermont

Postby Don_in_Vermont » 12 Mar 2019 17:11

I am new to this distribution so thanks for the input. :)

patzy

Postby patzy » 12 Mar 2019 21:33

Don_in_Vermont wrote:
12 Mar 2019 17:11
I am new to this distribution so thanks for the input. :)
I use gramps for my genealogy. A very versatile program.
It is available in the Solyd repos.

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Don_in_Vermont

Postby Don_in_Vermont » 13 Mar 2019 11:37

Thanks, I will check out Gramps.

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Mar 2019 11:41

nuts2u wrote:
12 Mar 2019 13:57
It is an Ubuntu program. You can't install Ubumtu specific programs in Debian, which solydxee is based on. Probably some dependencies that are not resolvable. Just a guess.....
This is not true. At least not generally . Ubuntu and SolydXK have the same basis: Debian. It's sometimes possible that libraries are missing or something else goes wrong but that can usually be corrected. Only Ubuntu repositories should never be used but this is no repository.

Now, ancestris.org offers a download for Ubuntu, Mint, Debian which is the correct one and installs for me but I'm on regular SolydX. gdebi usually tells you why an install fails and that information would be good to have. Please, always give every available information with your help request! Maybe EE is too new. It's a java app so you should check that first.
IMPORTANT : In order to use version 0.9 or the 'daily version' of Ancestris, you need to install Java version 1.8 on your system. Ancestris will not work with more recent versions of Java.
Please enter this command in terminal and check whether the output has "ii" at the beginning of the lines.

Code: Select all

dpkg -l openjdk-8*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                          Version             Architecture        Description
+++-=============================-===================-===================-================================================================
ii  openjdk-8-jre:amd64           8u181-b13-2~deb9u1  amd64               OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
ii  openjdk-8-jre-headless:amd64  8u181-b13-2~deb9u1  amd64               OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
EE has JRE (1.)11 as a standard but you can install version (1.)8 as well. This has to be fixed first.

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 13 Mar 2019 13:35

I stand corrected...

My answer should have been....You shouldn't install Ubumtu specific programs in Debian. instead of .....You can't install Ubumtu specific programs in Debian

I never...ever install any Ubuntu specific program on my Debian system. If the developer can't/won't make a Debian version of the program, I don't use the program.

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

Don_in_Vermont

Postby Don_in_Vermont » 13 Mar 2019 14:41

Thanks all for your help. I have found that the issue is in Debian testing which causes the error. It works on Debian Stretch. I have refereed the issue to support at Ancestris and will see what they have to say. As far as the program Gramps, I have tried to use several times and just can't get my head around it, much prefer Ancestris. I will update this when I get more info.

ilu

Postby ilu » 14 Mar 2019 03:33

@Don_in_Vermont, you did not say whether the Java version is the cause of the problem, but I guess so. The ancestris developers won't be able/willing to fix this. Porting from v. 1.8 to v. 1.11 is not urgent - you can install several Java versions on the same system. The correct solution would be to install openjre8 from the buster repo and maybe also configuring it as default alternative.

@nuts2u: No I don't agree. The only thing you can rely on is the Debian repository. Whenever you install something from outside of the repo you have to carefully check compatibility, no matter whether it's advertised for Ubuntu or for Debian. You never know whether anything was built on Debian or tested for it. Saying "this is for Debian" is just advertising, nothing more. And packages advertised for Ubuntu might work as well. There is no difference, you always need to check the content of the .deb package.

In the case of Ancestris a quick look inside the package would have told you that this is a java app. You don't even need to install the .deb package, you can just copy the tar.gz archive - and the programs code is most probably the same for Ubuntu, Debian, or even Windows.

Don_in_Vermont

Postby Don_in_Vermont » 14 Mar 2019 11:58

Here is the response I received from Ancestris Support.

A warm welcom to you to Ancestris !

It looks like the java version is too recent. You would need to install version 1.8 of java (you can keep the current one) and make sure you use Ancestris 0.10.

Here are instructions on how to do that. https://en.ancestris.org/index.php?title=Installation

Sorry about that. We are currently working on our next version to avoid this issue.

Best regards,
Frederic

Return to “Software”