solydK won't start after installation

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
dolphin

solydK won't start after installation

Postby dolphin » 07 Feb 2019 00:01

hello,

I had this problem after my first installation attempt: Although I checked the box to skip the login page during the installation process, it did turn up when I first started SolydK. But when I entered the password it looped back to the login screen. So I made a new live-USB drive (with Rufus) and installed again. Now it's even worse: I can't start SolydK at all, I get a lot of errors and it goes into emergency mode. (and in both cases Windows was missing in the Grub menu) I checked the ISO and it's OK. There's a very long file with system messages. One of them is: "firmware bug" another states:"dependency failed for /boot/efi" .
Because I have a UEFI BIOS maybe I have to change the settings? CMS?
Another cause might be that I did something wrong with the partitioning of the SSD: During the first installation I used Gparted to shrink the Windows partition and create 3 new ones: a data partition, a root and a swap. After that I had to stop the installation program to attach the new partitions and restart it. My partitions now look like this:

/dev/nvmeOn1 (Samsung SSD...) GRUB
... Onp1 fat32 /boot/efi
...p2 unknown
...p3 ntfs Windows
...p5 ntfs (data partition)
...p6 swap 17GB
... p7 ext4 root
...p4 ntfs recovery image
So what is the cause of my problem and can someone tell me how to fix it?

thanks!
My PC: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO motherboard (UEFI) 3,5 GHz processor, 16GB RAM ,500GB SSD.

ilu

Re: solydK won't start after installation

Postby ilu » 07 Jun 2019 10:34

First of all, which exact ISO did you use?
Second - that long file with system messages - can you upload it?
If your Windows installation uses efi you need to use efi for Linux too. It seems that maybe you started a SolydK installation without efi. Do you get a choice efi or legacy at boot time?
Restart the live system, open terminal and post the output of inxi -Fxz. Also enter ls /sys/firmware/efi - if the directory doesn't exist, your boot is legacy, i.e. wrong.
Also I don't understand exactly what you did during installation. If you try again, don't check that box about automatic login - just to see what happens. Also a 17 GB swap looks really big - why? If you have 17 GB memory you don't need swap. Swap will actually slow your system down.

Unrelated: Better not shrink a Win partition with gparted, you might be unlucky if you shrink it too much - use Windows own tools for that purpose.

dolphin

Postby dolphin » 08 Jun 2019 23:39

Hello Ilu,

Thanks for the useful info. Meanwhile I have Downloaded the ISO again anf reinstalled without checking that box about login. Now it works, but I still get a lot of error messages also on logoff!
To answer your questions:
First of all, which exact ISO did you use? --- Sorry can't rember that.
Second - that long file with system messages - can you upload it? I don't have it.
I do have efi and the folder /sys/firmware/efi does exist. So that's OK.
Also a 17 GB swap looks really big - why? - - -Because I have learned that you need 1GB Swap for every GB RAM (I have 16)
If you have 17 GB memory you don't need swap. Swap will actually slow your system down.- - That's completely new to me. But can I now safely remove the swap partition? Seems risky to me.
Thanks!
My PC: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO motherboard (UEFI) 3,5 GHz processor, 16GB RAM ,500GB SSD.

ilu

Postby ilu » 09 Jun 2019 08:15

1. Swap: You can skip it during install but afterwards you can't simply delete it. That would need more steps so maybe just leave it at that. I'm not sure about the "slow down" part (kurotsugi says so and he's usually right) but 16GB RAM should be enough for almost all use cases. At least I don't know a use case where swap would actually help if you ran out of that amount of memory.

2. About the ISO: You just clicked the download button recently? Then I know which one.

3. Errors:
Post the terminal output of

Code: Select all

journalctl | grep error
We'll see about the automatic login later if its important. Lets get everything else sorted first.

dolphin

Postby dolphin » 09 Jun 2019 23:05

Hello Ilu,

I think I downloaded the ISO early february. BTW I have switched off the login later by editing etc>lightdm>lightdm.conf so that problem is already solved.

The terminal output is:
journalctl | grep error
jun 10 00:01:05 nieuwstepc-solydk kernel: kobject_create_and_add: kobject_add error: -17
jun 10 00:01:05 nieuwstepc-solydk kernel: EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p7): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro

Is there a way to record the error messages that appear on shutdown? That might be helpful...
thanks!

Return to “Installation”