SolydXK 10 Testing [updated: 31-07-2019]

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: SolydXK 10 Testing [updated: 31-07-2019]

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Aug 2019 18:57

Thanks! I'll compare my ISOs with your 32-bit ISOs tomorrow.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 05 Aug 2019 17:26

Just realised I forgot to double the #s in lines 28-30, so here's another tarball.
Attachments
imt-cmp.tar.gz
(971 Bytes) Downloaded 4 times
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 07 Aug 2019 02:20

Just tried solydx_10_64_201908 in virtual box. Looks like it is ready. The only tiny thing I can criticize is the orange colors. (but that is easy to change)
Best wishes to everyone here!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Aug 2019 18:31

I have used the 32-bit ISOs to cleanup the 64-bit ISOs and to set those package that should be marked auto back to auto again.

Together with the packages Ilu suggested to remove I got the SolydX ISO at the same size as the old SolydX 9 ISO: 1.6G. The SolydK ISO is still bigger but 100MB smaller than the previous SolydK 10 ISO. If you are able to shrink an ISO that means you saved a lot of space when installed.

Now that the ISOs are multi-lingual I had to install a lot of fonts (meta packages). Size was not too bad.

kuser is gone. I installed user-manager, the now default for Plasma. You can create a new user with it, but don't expect much more.

I was not happy how the icon theme handled application icons in SolydKs start menu: color and monochrome mixed. So, I decided to remove all monochrome icons for applications only. It was not as easy as I thought but I think I have it fixed now. We need to check applications if they don't have large colored icons in their menu, or buttons. That would mean we miss a monochrome version of that icon.

I also had several severe problems with the repository server. I hope they are solved now but let me know if anything odd happens.
For SolydXK 10 I get the virtualbox packages from sid. There are a lot of updates but I see no other alternative.

ISOs are uploaded to: https://downloads.solydxk.com/nightly/

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 09 Aug 2019 18:33

So does this mean that the apt-mark manual problem is solved? I think aptitude is able to automatically repair/optimize dependencies (auto/manual included) but I'd have to rtfm before I can come up with results.

I tried once, maybe a year ago, and I remember being shocked because aptitude wanted to remove 200+ packages ...

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Aug 2019 18:38

ilu wrote:
09 Aug 2019 18:33
So does this mean that the apt-mark manual problem is solved?
I think so....I used the settings from the 32-bit iso to change the 64-bit iso. That should be enough, right?

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Aug 2019 16:46

I am finishing up the ISOs now. I'll let you know when the ISOs are uploaded.
I have checked every installed application and found just one on both that I cannot solve:

LuckyBackup as root does not start:

Code: Select all

QCoreApplication::applicationDirPath: Please instantiate the QApplication object first
luckybackup: cannot connect to X server 
Something to do with x-server but I it has low priority for me.

I could add the manual/auto fix to the upgrade script.
Removing package seems to me too much risk of destroying someone's system.

What do you think?

SolydXK needs you!

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 11 Aug 2019 18:57

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
11 Aug 2019 16:46
I am finishing up the ISOs now. I'll let you know when the ISOs are uploaded.
I have checked every installed application and found just one on both that I cannot solve:

LuckyBackup as root does not start:

QCoreApplication::applicationDirPath: Please instantiate the QApplication object first
luckybackup: cannot connect to X server 
Something to do with x-server but I it has low priority for me.

I could add the manual/auto fix to the upgrade script.
Removing package seems to me too much risk of destroying someone's system.

What do you think?
I use and appreciate lucky backup. But I do not launch it as root.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Aug 2019 04:55

I did finished the check with aptitude here viewtopic.php?f=78&t=7567&p=70868#p70868. I attached a file with the marked-auto packages so you can run a diff. I did not catch all but definitely more.
I think most of the 140+ packages I mentioned there can be removed - but there is one issue with glx-alternative-mesa - it seems some of the 386 libs I removed were needed. Maybe grizzler knows better.

I would leave exisiting systems alone. Or maybe an optional script ("use if you feel adventurous")?

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Aug 2019 12:31

Why does the SolydK 64-bit ISO have two microbit related packages (firmware-microbit-micropython and firmware-microbit-micropython-doc)? Considering what BBC micro:bit actually is, I don't think they would be a lot of use on a KDE-system...

If you decide to remove them, you may want to remove fonts-font-awesome, fonts-lato, libjs-modernizr and sphinx-rtd-theme-common as well, as they appear to be of use to firmware-microbit-micropython-doc only.

edit
Arjen Balfoort wrote:
09 Aug 2019 18:38
ilu wrote:
09 Aug 2019 18:33
So does this mean that the apt-mark manual problem is solved?
I think so....I used the settings from the 32-bit iso to change the 64-bit iso. That should be enough, right?
Maybe not entirely. The 32-bit ISOs started at some point in the past, before I switched maintenance to my own build scripts. It's quite possible packages from before that moment are still incorrectly marked.
Frank

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 13 Aug 2019 15:23

If I may drop a suggestion: I always wonder why gpsd is a service that is installed and running by default. It seems to me to be something relevant only for specific devices. It is always the first resource-comsumer I purge. But perhaps you guys have a different approach for the case?

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 13 Aug 2019 16:00

I did a fresh install of the nightly solydk_10_64_201908.iso (the one from aug 7th IIRC), and then ran my usual install and config scripts, to customize SolydK all the way to my liking.

For this scenario, I so far, encounter the following issues, or at least things that draw attention:
  • I miss the ability to install the packages: phpmyadmin, pinta, regina-rexx (especially phpmyadmin seems remarkable)
  • I cannot install virtualbox the way I use to: it seems to require an unavailable libvpx6 package
  • I cannot run any libreoffice application: it says 'ERROR 4 forking process' (this was mentioned by someone else as well, related to updating a system)
  • In Dolphin, when a folder is defined as the initial/startup folder, then in the folder-panel view there is no parent of the structure visible anymore; you don't just jump to the location, you get boxed inside there + symlink folders in the root are not shown
  • I always use an autostart-script in KDE, but in buster somehow it does not seem to get launched, neither directly as a script nor when it is a symlink
I am aware that some topics are probably more generically Debian/KDE related, but the SolydXK forum has always proved to be a useful place to mention ones findings;-)

[EDIT] corrected the description of the Dolphin issue

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Aug 2019 16:31

We are in the process of some serious cleanup. If you have purge candidates please report here: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=7567&start=20. If we purged to much, also report problems there.

That being said, LibreOffice starts up alright on SolydX. Try to start from terminal and post the results in a new topic.

The virtualbox problem results from virtualbox not being part of buster. The package comes from sid and has a dependency problem.

pinta and regina-rexx is also not in buster. Not much we can do about that.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Aug 2019 16:32

@grizzler
I overlooked those packages. I will remove them in the next release.
So, the manual/auto issue cannot be improved further. For the time being, I think good is good enough. Right?

@bas_otten
gpsd is not installed in SolydX. I will remove it in the next ISO.

phpmyadmin is not in buster, only in sid. I have added phpmyadmin to our own repository.
The missing libvpx6 has also been added to our repository.

Could you try these?

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Aug 2019 16:43

That was quick. No need for a separate post then. Vbox installs ok on X now.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Aug 2019 18:13

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
13 Aug 2019 16:32
So, the manual/auto issue cannot be improved further. For the time being, I think good is good enough. Right?
Yes, I think so.

@Bas,
phpmyadmin seems to be a bit of a mess right now: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/phpmyadmin
As it isn't even actively maintained in Debian, picking up a more up to date version from upstream may not be a bad idea...

To be honest, with all the unfixed security issues in the last Debian version, I'm not sure that version should be in the SolydXK repo.
Frank

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 13 Aug 2019 20:43

Thanks for your answers!

I can now indeed install and run Virtualbox and Phpmyadmin without problem, but I acknowlegde the considerations that @grizzler makes on Phpmyadmin.
As for Regina-rexx, I downloaded and installed the deb's manually: since stretch and sid contain the same version, it will likely work fine on buster.
I might do the same for Pinta as I did with Regina-rexx, but I do not care for Pinta that much after all, so I'll leave it.
As for gpsd, I will do a final check on its absence when the new SolydK-10 ISO build will be uploaded.

Libreoffice: 'ERROR 4 forking process' exactly ís the terminal output.
I remember LO working in a live SolydK-session. I need to recheck on a clean install whether or not this issue is specific for my configuration, before creating a separate topic on this.
I did find several hits on this error with LO, but none of them led me to a solution so far..

I will check on the KDE issues myself as well, as far as life/time allows ;-)

Regards, Bas

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Aug 2019 21:53

I had a look at https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabilit ... admin.html and this confirms what grizzler said - the version in sid is as ancient as the one in stretch and that is an absolute no-go for software that gets exposed on the net. The last version upstream fixes serious security flaws. There's a reason the sid package didn't make it into buster.

That is no problem as long as phpmyadmin is used only locally and SolydXK is not a server system but still - we should not endorse the use of seriously outdated software. I'd say remove it.

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 14 Aug 2019 06:31

I found that the problem with starting Libreoffice is related to apparmor being enabled by default on buster.
Many pages on the net suggest that the problem has already been resolved in the latest Apparmor version, but clearly in an up-to-date buster system the problem still exists.
I followed this instruction to completely uninstall apparmor https://forums.puri.sm/t/libreoffice-no ... erday/4685

apt-get -y purge apparmor*
After that, reboot the system and Libreoffice starts just fine!
I won't suggest this is a solution, it's a workaround - but to me it's the solution ;-)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Aug 2019 07:29

I have removed phpmyadmin from our repository.

On a clean SolydX 10 install in VB I did not have any problems with Libreoffice. Perhaps because I decided to format the home partition?

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing Zone”