Misc installer improvements

Post your bugs here.
ilu

Misc installer improvements

Postby ilu » 15 Aug 2019 17:02

I'm trying to install SolydK10 in a VM. I followed the Virtualbox Linux default and set the virtual disk to 8GB. If I leave everything on default the installer sets 2GB swap and 6GB root. The installation starts but the installer exits without further notice after some time. If I manually remove swap and assign the whole 8GB to root the installer will not assign this partition to root because "a minimal size of 8.0 GB is needed".

Not a big problem, since almost nobody will have partitions below 9 GB, except in test-VMs, but its an inconsistency that the size is not checked if everything is left on default.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Installer problem on small partitions

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Aug 2019 14:33

Fixed in the new live installer.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Re: Misc installer improvements

Postby ilu » 21 Aug 2019 11:40

Another little thing I noticed: If an already formatted partition is used for home the installer doesn't check if the format is right - an unattentive user can end up with a ntfs formattted home. just happened, he wondered why thunderbird refused to load the profile.

Don't feel pressured; Im just collecting ideas for improvement I come across.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Aug 2019 13:19

Ha, never tried that!

Do you know which formats cannot be used?

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 21 Aug 2019 18:25

This information is difficult to find, but I'm sure all FAT16/32/VFAT/ExFAT, NTFS, HPFS, (u)msdos, smb, HFS+, APFS are not suitable. It might be possible to use them for data, but /home/<user> is part of the system.

On the other hand, doing something like
if filesystem != ext4
print "This partition should usually be formatted as EXT4. Some other file systems might work too if you know what you are doing but most will not. If you are not sure, backup any data on this partition and choose to reformat this partition with EXT4."
button "Back to formatting" and button "I am sure, proceed anyway"

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 23 Aug 2019 09:58

It took me a full day to solve this one. The source is getting hard to maintain and I found out that I had to adapt code on three places. I reduced that to two by eliminating the quick menu when you right-click on a partition. It will now show the edit window which now contains all the logic.

The new live installer is in the repository. If you start your live installer it will upgrade itself to the latest version.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 30 Aug 2019 20:43

Next one:
When on a completely empty HDD the installer asks if it should create partitions. It will then create 100MB for EFI. Archwiki recommends at least 260MB, OpenSuse has 500MB. Since diskspace usually is not an issue the installer should assign 512 MB.

Nice that restart without removing the boot medium now works (at least with DVD).

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Aug 2019 08:34

I'll use 500MiB for a new EFI partition. It is the same size as the minimal /boot partition size.

For backwards compatibility I will leave existing EFI partitions to a minimum of 100MiB or else the installer will not install because the minimum size has changed and the user will be forced to change partition sizes.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Aug 2019 12:30

Yes, of course leave existing partitions as they are. I meant just the installer defaults on a completely empty HDD.

Return to “Bug Control”