LibreOffice as default office package in SolydX

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
ilu

Re: LibreOffice as default office package in SolydX

Postby ilu » 08 Aug 2019 12:07

Softmaker office is actually good software. I don't understand the outrage since Softmaker is a company that obviously cares about Linux and did so for decades. Promoting their product is good. Nobody is forced to use Manjaro. Although settling for choice is certainly the best decision.

If you look for an offer you can get the full office version for around 20 Euro and that's obviously not too much. I have a license but I don't use it. I don't expect software to be free as in beer and I can accept if it's not free as in speech - but I want open source wherever possible. I don't understand why the FOSS community insists on not differentiating between these 3 certainly different things. Since I can't stand LibreOffice (looks and feels like Microsoft, yuck) and since Abiword went the way of the dodo I'm now settling for LaTex ...

bin

Postby bin » 09 Aug 2019 06:44

I have to interact with MS Office users with some quite complex table layouts created in Word.

Libreoffice spits the dummy and leaves a nasty mess on the screen.

Softmaker just opens it, does what's needed and saves it - in either .doc or .docx format (paid version)

Conversely I find the drawing tools in LO much easier than Softmaker :?

Softmaker is not the prettiest of software, uses its own pointer and is a bit of a pain to scale to look nice on 1920x1080 24" - but it works.

I often just use it in trial mode if I'm distro hopping as you don't get unlimited activations without a grumble from their support folks.

UncleSam

Postby UncleSam » 22 Aug 2019 20:51

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache madison abiword
   abiword | 3.0.2-2+deb9u2 | http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
I haven't tried it. I like LO.

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”