SolydXK 10 update script

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
wildman

SolydXK 10 update script

Postby wildman » 01 Oct 2019 15:58

Has anyone tried the upgrade script yet?
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

ydek

Re: SolydXK 10 released based on Debian Buster

Postby ydek » 01 Oct 2019 17:00

@wildman
I did a clean install.
I didn't use script.
SolydX 10

wildman

Postby wildman » 01 Oct 2019 18:16

@ydek
Thanks. I was looking for feedback on the script. I have been upgrading for over 5 years without a clean install. Never saw a need for it. My system continues to be stable and performs perfectly.

Anyway, I forgot another question. This would be directed to Arjen...
The last upgrade script dealt with DMO. Did not see anything relating to DMO in the new script. What should I expect if I run the upgrade script?
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

patzy

Postby patzy » 01 Oct 2019 22:47

wildman wrote:
01 Oct 2019 15:58
Has anyone tried the upgrade script yet?
I would like to try the upgrade script but, please, can we have a step by step how to run it?

freedom

Postby freedom » 02 Oct 2019 12:02

What is it?
No one is brave enough? :D

Just done upgrading from SolydK 9 to 10
Nothing explode and I'm typing this from FF within my Plasma desktop. So, so far so good. :clap:

Regarding steps, you just have to start the script but...
I recommend that you log off from XFCE or KDE, then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login into plain console.
Then it's good thing to stop X and desktop manager with

Code: Select all

sudo service lightdm stop
replace lightdm with desktop manager you use ( mine is sddm)
check if solyd10xk.sh file is executable with

ls -l
you have to see -rwxr-xr-x in a row of solyd10xk.sh
then just type

./solyd10xk.sh
assuming that you are in the folder where you downloaded this update script, say your prayer and wait...
If you didn't choose unattended upgrade you will need to answer few questions whether you want to keep some config file or install new ones from package maintainer and that's about it.
When it ends, type

reboot
and you will have SolydXK10 Buster Based

p.s.
I just said no at the end for removing orphaned packages.
I prefer to do it myself

Only mess I had (for now :) ) is that at the start of new KDE Plasma desktop my Folder view widget of a Desktop folder at the Panel was not shown properly but I removed the widget and add it back again and everything is fine.

tom44

Postby tom44 » 02 Oct 2019 14:23

Hello, I just finished the upgrade. I did not see the above post, so I ran the upgrade script in terminal window inside my XFCE (silly me), selected unattended uprade and sure enough, somewhere along the way the desktop went down and the display started flickering endlessly as the dispaly manager was restarting and being killed I suppose. I rebooted and luckily the computer booted up and XFCE and network came up as well. I then had to finish configuring packages with
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Then I proceeded with updates the update manager was offering. Everything went seemingly fine, I had to decide several questions if to overwrite conf files with new version. After another reboot I can login, only hddtemp would not start, but it tells me how to fix it, plymouth splash is not coming up during boot and I noticed that in GRUB boot menu there is still SolydX 9, but sources are set to Buster. It seems I have working system, but maybe few things were not finished due the interruption of the upgrade script.
In case of problems I can always do clean install, so no big deal and I will stick with trying to fix the remaining minor issues for now.

Anyone knows:
- Is it normal the GRUB menu entry saying SolydX 9 after upgrade?
- Would it be safe to run the upgrade script once again to possibly finish unfinished things?

Thanks.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Oct 2019 16:32

Make sure you have solydx-system-adjustments-10 installed.
The script should have done that.

I had the same you had and ran the script again after reboot which ended without problems.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

patzy

Postby patzy » 02 Oct 2019 23:23

freedom wrote:
02 Oct 2019 12:02
What is it?
No one is brave enough? :D
Thanks for the instructions. :clap:
Yes I am not brave! I last used an upgrade script years ago and have forgotten all about it. :facepalm:

Of course I could have said the request was to help newbies. But I'm being honest about having cold feet..... :oops:

tom44

Postby tom44 » 03 Oct 2019 19:47

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
02 Oct 2019 16:32
Make sure you have solydx-system-adjustments-10 installed.
The script should have done that.

I had the same you had and ran the script again after reboot which ended without problems.
Thanks, re-running the script solved everything. My system had been really half way there, the repos pointed to Buster, but the solydx-system-adjustments-9 was installed and not -10. It even lost wifi next startup, had to use wired connection. The script, when run again, configured lots of unconfigured packages, then installed lots of new ones and removed quite a few too. Now I only have to import some missing keys for some external apt sources and reinstall software originating from them. Other than that, everything seems to work on my HP Probook 4520s.

@freedom @patzy: yes, I ran the script both times in unattended mode. I have looked at the source at least briefly first, though ;) It was not fully unattended either, I still had to answer some questions regarding replacing previously edited configuration files.

ilu

Re: SolydXK 10 update script

Postby ilu » 04 Oct 2019 17:29

I've moved this to a separate topic to make it easier to find.

koczis

Postby koczis » 29 Oct 2019 14:56

Hello Everyone,

a silly question: what about slowly switching Stretch->Buster in APT sources.list?
Will it go boom? Is the script STRONGLY recommended?
You say, script shall be run from TTY - what about reducing init level?

Thanks,
/koczis

koczis

Postby koczis » 16 Nov 2019 15:22

@Everyone:
after I finally fixed my SolydX-9 and upgraded to latest, I'd really like to start switching to 10/Buster.
I've read posts regarding the update script and downloaded it from: SolydXK 10 Testing [updated: 31-07-2019]
However, I'm still not sure whether I should actually use it or install the ISO over my current installation or just update from Buster/SolydXK-10 repositories?
Is that script still valid or is there a newer or more official one?
And again:
what about reducing init level?
Please, give me some clue.

freedom

Postby freedom » 07 Dec 2019 10:39

ilu wrote:
04 Oct 2019 17:29
I've moved this to a separate topic to make it easier to find.
nice, but now, there is no SolydXK 10 update script file to download in the OP :)

koczis

Postby koczis » 07 Dec 2019 18:19

OK, finally I'm successfully upgraded!
I used the script found here: SolydXK 10 released based on Debian Buster
My question regarding reducing the init level turned out to be rather silly, because on any level below 5, net drivers aren't loaded.
I didn't have balls to run in unattended mode, so spent some time on it, especially removing the "obsolete" packages.
Got some troubles with 'chromium-common' and 'chromium-driver' packages, which prevented the 1st run from succeeding. I had to remove these packages and also 'chromium-solydxk-adjustments' manually. I did run the script 3 times in overall to make sure everything's perfect.
In result, everything seems to work perfectly, except my sound input, which works as 'hw' and 'plughw', but isn't anymore assigned to 'default' and 'sysdefault' devices. There are no such issues with sound output. I'm going to search this forum for similar issues, but if anyone remembers something, please point me.
EDIT: Sound input works! 'default' and 'sysdefault' were correctly assigned. It just seems there's no way to go without PulseAudio now.

Return to “Installation”