No detail 'Description' in synaptic.

Questions about software.
Jag59

No detail 'Description' in synaptic.

Postby Jag59 » 11 Dec 2019 18:51

In SolydK 10, synaptic does not show description in detail, only the description heading is repeated.
One learns by reading, so it will be helpful.
Is there any way/work-around to know the package details?
Can I temporarily enable debian repos, see the description and disable them before installing anything? If yes, what exactly I will have to do?

ilu

Re: No detail 'Description' in synaptic.

Postby ilu » 11 Dec 2019 19:14

That's all the description there is in synaptic. If you need more info head to https://packages.debian.org/buster/<packagename>.

And why would you disable the debian repos? You need them for updating.

Jag59

Postby Jag59 » 12 Dec 2019 06:07

Thanks ilu for
If you need more info head to https://packages.debian.org/buster/<packagename>.
Actually I have it in bookmarks which I used to check debian package versions while using Kubuntu, but it didn't click in my mind that it can also be used to see package description.
Synaptic and muon show detail description in Netrunner 19.01 and Neptune 6 respectivelly.
e.g. Description of package 'fonts-noto-cjk' shown there, which reveals a lot, is

Code: Select all

Noto is a collection of font families, each visually harmonized across scripts.

This package contains Noto font families for Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese and Korean:
 • Noto Sans CJK JP
 • Noto Sans CJK KR
 • Noto Sans CJK SC
 • Noto Sans CJK TC
 • Noto Sans Mono CJK JP
 • Noto Sans Mono CJK KR
 • Noto Sans Mono CJK SC
 • Noto Sans Mono CJK TC
 • Noto Serif CJK JP
 • Noto Serif CJK KR
 • Noto Serif CJK SC
 • Noto Serif CJK TC

These fonts are derived from the font family Source Han Sans.

The name "Noto" is short for "No Tofu", describing the aim of covering all living Unicode scripts.

Tofu (豆腐) is Japanese jargon for unicode replacement character "�" (U+FFFD) often displayed as replacement for unassigned or unknown characters.

This package contains regular and bold fonts.
Whereas in SolydK 10 only description heading '"No Tofu" font families with large Unicode coverage (CJK regular and bold)' is repeated below the heading. Probably this may have be done to trim SolydK 10 and make it fast.
And why would you disable the debian repos? You need them for updating.
No no, I never ment that. I generally don't tamper with default repos. What I ment was whether I can add debian repos below default ones and enable them temporarily just for seeing the description. But your solution is much simpler!, though having description available by default in synaptic is much user frendly.
Will having detail description in synaptic be much against SolydXK's direction, i.e. the way SolydXK is planned? I can understand developers' intention and respect it, but simultaneously I also feel that SolydXK must be beginner frendly and can be recommended without hesitation. ;)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Dec 2019 08:42

I see that Synaptic shows just one line for the package description in both SolydXK 9 and SolydXK 10. So, I suspect this behavior is by design. As Synaptic is not maintained by SolydXK there is not much we can do about that.

[EDIT]
On second look. I do not know what makes Netrunner to show all description information when using apt-cache. What are we missing?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Jag59

Postby Jag59 » 12 Dec 2019 15:16

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
12 Dec 2019 08:42

[EDIT]
On second look. I do not know what makes Netrunner to show all description information when using apt-cache. What are we missing?
That's what I wanted to state. All 3 being based on Debian 10, only SolydK does not show detail description though installed Muon. So the question is not of synaptic or muon but may be of their inputs/sources/repos.
You are in much better position than me to rectify the things as I am not a advanced Linux user. But I have installations of Neptune 6 and Netrunner 19.01. If you require some info from me, I shall be glad to furnish it.

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Dec 2019 18:26

Jag59 wrote:
12 Dec 2019 06:07
Synaptic and muon show detail description in Netrunner 19.01 and Neptune 6 respectivelly.
I did not know that. I'll think about it.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Dec 2019 18:50

I am still unable to find the difference between Netrunner and SolydXK.

I have been checking configuration in /etc/apt because apt-cache show is showing the full package description in Netrunner and not in SolydXK. I did not find anything strange.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Software”