'system-config-printer' fails to setup one

Questions about software.
koczis

'system-config-printer' fails to setup one

Postby koczis » 07 Jan 2020 13:24

Hello All,
I had to use CUPS HTTP admin page to add my printer. The 'system-config-printer' finished with kinda "printer not ready" dialog and I couldn't print the test page. I tried 3 times. The dialog hanged endlessly and when I killed the app, nothing about my printer was saved. After the printer is added from CUPS, 'system-config-printer' shows it correctly.
What kind of more precise info can I deliver here?

ilu

Re: 'system-config-printer' fails to setup one

Postby ilu » 07 Jan 2020 17:29

First of all: Which type of printer?

Most printers need proprietary code which we can't deliver. So printers usually need some investigation before setup will work. Some printers - where the manufacturer doesn't provide linux drivers - will never work. Same for other peripherals. Business models almost always work. Consumer models nowadays mostly work too.But better investigate Linux support before you buy.

koczis

Postby koczis » 17 Jan 2020 02:40

Hi, sorry for late reply - I was seriously lagging with cleaning my inbox after Christmas / New Year break.

My printer is Xerox WorkCentre 3215 - it worked properly in Debian 9 since many months. I lost printer config after upgrading - no big deal. The driver is there. I only remember having no issues with 'system-config-printer' before and actually configuring it for the 1st time from this app. This time I had to use the CUPS HTTP admin page.

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Jan 2020 18:59

This is not a common printer - sorry, no idea. Their site says the driver supports Debian 7.1 - all other supported Linux systems are ancient as well. You should check that with Xerox support.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 18 Jan 2020 04:34

It's not a driver issue. The web interface works so cups should be works just fine. It could be either issue with the front-end or missing dependencies. IIRC system-config-printer is part of gnome suite so sometimes one or two dependencies are not defined on the package. I'm just rough guessing but perhaps system-config-printer doesn't have the proper permission to write the configs. Did system-config-printer ask for passwords?

Anyway, perhaps you should just use the web interface. System-config-printer is just a front-end for cups. The original interface is the web interface

koczis

Postby koczis » 21 Jan 2020 08:38

@ilu
I agree with kurotsugi it isn't the driver issue. It seemed as no matter what I tried to add using the 'system-config-printer', it wouldn't save it.

@kurotsugi
Did system-config-printer ask for passwords?
I remember 'system-config-printer' NOT asking for passwd, but I assumed it shall just use regular account login. CUPS web interface asked for it.
Anyway, perhaps you should just use the web interface. System-config-printer is just a front-end for cups. The original interface is the web interface
OK, that makes sense. Thanks!

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 21 Jan 2020 15:00

The symptoms indeed pointing at missing dependencies. Some gtk apps need pinentry-gtk but I'm not sure if it's enough for this case. I had similar issue in the past, I remember pinentry-gtk was part of the fix but unfortunately I can't remember all the required packages. Perhaps you should try it and see what happened :3

Return to “Software”