Device Driver Manager (DDM) - help needed [upd:20-10-15]

Questions about software.
twnaing

Re: Device Driver Manager (DDM) - help needed

Postby twnaing » 05 Jun 2013 21:00

I installed

Code: Select all

nvidia-detect_319.17-1 (from Debian experimental)
ddm_0.7.5 
and ddm still giving me the same error.

Intel driver I have is

xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.19.0-6
Attachments
ddm.log.tar.gz
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 05 Jun 2013 23:09

twnaing
installing nvidia-detect won't do any good (or any bad either), as we saw here >> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... t=60#p7510 you have switchable graphics (intel + ati/amd)

this new version of ddm sees both cards

06-06-2013 03:24:13 ati.getATI                    INFO      Intel card found: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
06-06-2013 03:24:13 drivers.DriverGet             DEBUG     Initialize DriverGet
06-06-2013 03:24:14 drivers.DriverGet             DEBUG     Initialize DriverGet
06-06-2013 03:24:14 ati.getATI                    INFO      ATI card found: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8730M]
also according to ddm you have

06-06-2013 03:24:15 drivers.getPackageStatus      DEBUG     Package not installed: fglrx-driver
06-06-2013 03:24:16 ati.getATI                    INFO      ATI driver found: fglrx-driver (notinstalled)
06-06-2013 03:24:16 intel.getIntel                INFO      Intel driver found: xserver-xorg-video-intel (installed)
we can double-check this if you give us the output of

inxi -Gx
question i can't answer is why ddm now lists

06-06-2013 03:24:27 self.treeview.fillTreeview    DEBUG     Add data to list store: liststore.append([False, "fglrx-driver", "1:12-6+point-1", "ATI display driver (recommended)", "ati", 400, 10000])
according to what you wrote
4. device driver manager now shows driver for my ATI/AMDI HD 8730M (installation went ok, didn't work after the reboot)
it doesn't work in this kind of setup but specially this was not the recommended driver before.
from here i leave to Schoelje 8-)
bliss of ignorance

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Jun 2013 06:49

This will be very hard to solve.
Unfortunately I'm not the happy owner of such a intel/amd card. So, I'll be coding blind, without the possibility of testing what I've done. I don't even know if installing the AMD drivers alongside the Intel drivers would work: How do you let X know which driver to use? It would mean changing the xorg.conf file.

Currently, DDM only lists one graphics card, even if you have more. I could try to list Intel when AMD is found and there is an Intel card present (are there any Nvidia/Intel cards, or is it only AMD/Intel?). To prevent breakage of the system, only one can be selected for the above mentioned reason.

However, I don't know if the AMD driver will function for those kind of cards. Again, I have no way of testing this.

@twnaing:
Could you please post the output of:

lspci -nn | grep VGA

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 06 Jun 2013 10:48

Schoelje wrote:(are there any Nvidia/Intel cards, or is it only AMD/Intel?)
the most common dual-gpu cards
  • nvidia/intel > optimus technology
  • amd/intel > switchable
just an idea:
in situations where ddm finds dual-gpu, it could display a "warning" saying that in that configuration the drivers installation is not supported by ddm (or some better wording than this)
bliss of ignorance

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 06 Jun 2013 11:01

I don't know much about this but, How to other linux distributions handle these dual video cards?

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 06 Jun 2013 19:42

MAYBL8 wrote:I don't know much about this but, How to other linux distributions handle these dual video cards?
I can't speak for Intel/ATI, but with Intel/Nvidia (Optimus) they generally do nothing. I have yet to use a distribution that automatically configures bumblebee for me (Mint doesn't, Ubuntu doesn't, Debian doesn't, etc). They just default to the Intel graphics card (but both are on at the same time, so it uses quite a bit of power and my laptop can get quite hot).

For NVIDIA/Intel cards, the solution is basically to run sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus and then to run sudo adduser USER bumblebee (this doesn't work yet, but it will for the next UP, which should finish synchronizing today).
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

twnaing

Postby twnaing » 06 Jun 2013 20:02

@zerozero, following is the output `inxi -Gx`

Graphics:  Card-1 Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8730M] X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile  GLX Version 3.0 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering Yes
it doesn't work in this kind of setup but specially this was not the recommended driver before.
I was not after the solution for switchable graphics. I'll be happy with DDM correctly knowing Intel.

@Schoelje, following is the output of `lscpi -nn | grep VGA`

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8730M] [1002:6601]
To prevent breakage of the system, only one can be selected for the above mentioned reason.
I think it is the way sgfxi is doing. (I do not know the underlying working mechanism of DDM).

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 06 Jun 2013 23:19

twnaing wrote:I was not after the solution for switchable graphics. I'll be happy with DDM correctly knowing Intel.
until now ddm installed intel as you can see in the last line of the inxi output
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version 3.0 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering Yes
what is strange (and is what brings you here) is that something changed lately and the recommended driver is now fglrx.
maybe something similar to what happened with nvidia in the transition to jessie.

====
cwwgateway wrote:For NVIDIA/Intel cards, the solution is basically to run sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus and then to run sudo adduser USER bumblebee (this doesn't work yet, but it will for the next UP, which should finish synchronizing today).
from july's UP on it could even work in ddm ;)
bliss of ignorance

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Jun 2013 05:53

The first problem with these hybrid cards is that DDM should list both chipsets as recommended (DDM is built to just recommend one). The second is that the Nvidia/intel hybrid needs these extra packages. This would mean a major update on DDM.

I suppose the Nvidia/intel cards need the Nvidia driver (nvidia-glx), AND the Intel driver, AND the bumblebee stuff.
Is that correct?

SolydXK needs you!

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 08 Jun 2013 02:12

as cww said above, the optimus cards (and bumblebee) work with
cwwgateway wrote:For NVIDIA/Intel cards, the solution is basically to run sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus and then to run sudo adduser USER bumblebee
bumblebee is a funny beast :lol: (cww will correct me if i'm wrong here, because i don't own one of those thingies :lol: ) it installs the nvidia driver (hence the install bumblebee-nvidia) so that it can defaults to intel in normal usage and only load nvidia when explicitly called with optirun <app>
====
so (for someone that knows zero of coding :? )
if
lspci -nn | grep VGA
card 1 intel
card 2 nvidia
then
bumblebee option :lol:
looks so easy :P
bliss of ignorance

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Jun 2013 06:03

zerozero wrote: if
lspci -nn | grep VGA
card 1 intel
card 2 nvidia
then
You're hired!

SolydXK needs you!

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 08 Jun 2013 17:26

Schoelje wrote: I suppose the Nvidia/intel cards need the Nvidia driver (nvidia-glx), AND the Intel driver, AND the bumblebee stuff.
Is that correct?
Yes. I'm not sure what packages make up the intel driver (they're already installed), but to install the nvidia driver and bumblebee you install the packages bumblebee, primus, and bumblebee-nvidia (bumblebee-nvidia depends on the nvidia drivers).
zerozero wrote:so (for someone that knows zero of coding :? )
if
lspci -nn | grep VGA
card 1 intel
card 2 nvidia
then
This works for me I think:

christopher@chris-laptop:~/Downloads$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0126] (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 540M] [10de:0df4] (rev ff)
Then:

sudo apt-get install -y bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus
sudo adduser bumblebee christopher
In fact, bumblebee-nvidia depends on bumblebee so you really only need to install bumblebee-nvidia and primus

=========
zerozero wrote: bumblebee is a funny beast :lol: (cww will correct me if i'm wrong here, because i don't own one of those thingies :lol: ) it installs the nvidia driver (hence the install bumblebee-nvidia) so that it can defaults to intel in normal usage and only load nvidia when explicitly called with optirun <app>
This is also how optimus works on windows (you have to left click something, go to "run with graphics processor" and choose nvidia). The bigger benefit of bumblebee is it saves power because both don't run at the same time unless explicitly told to do so. On a machine without bumblebee, both cards are always on, but you can only use the intel one. If you have bumblebee, then the NVIDIA card is off unless explicitly told to be on. Even when both are on with bumblebee, the computer temperature is much lower than without bumblebee.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Jun 2013 18:49

Great, cww, that'll get me started, but it's going to take a while before we can start testing...a bit busy with other things.

SolydXK needs you!

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 08 Jun 2013 20:01

Schoelje wrote:Great, cww, that'll get me started, but it's going to take a while before we can start testing...a bit busy with other things.
Looking forward to it 8-) . I don't think there are any other distros (at least that I have tried/seen/read about) that can automatically set up bumblebee. Would be really cool if we could :D
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Jun 2013 22:19

@cww
Could you send me these files:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/Xorg.1.log

I need to know how the primus driver is loaded.

SolydXK needs you!

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 08 Jun 2013 22:33

Schoelje wrote:but it's going to take a while before we can start testing
Schoelje wrote:I need to know how the primus driver is loaded.
:lol: you're hopeless :lol: :lol:
bliss of ignorance

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 09 Jun 2013 03:45

Sorry for keeping you waiting :oops: Was playing with Arch.

Didn't thoroughly examine the files, but I couldn't find any mention of primus.

Just a note: bumblebee does not require a configured xorg.conf file (so don't run nvidia-xconfig or things will break). I don't know if ddm runs this for normal NVIDIA driver setup.
Attachments
Xorg.1.log
(43.82 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Xorg.0.log
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Jun 2013 06:02

Why did I say primus? I meant bumblebee of course :oops:
The reason I ask is, I suspect it simply loads intel or nvidia, but I need to be sure.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Jun 2013 13:06

@cww
Unfortunately, you had the Intel drivers loaded.
I'm looking in the xorg log files for a line with these words: "Depth" and "framebuffer".
The line in your log files indicate it's Intel: intel(0)

Could you switch to ATI, reboot, and send me the log files again?

SolydXK needs you!

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 09 Jun 2013 14:02

Schoelje wrote:@cww
Unfortunately, you had the Intel drivers loaded.
I'm looking in the xorg log files for a line with these words: "Depth" and "framebuffer".
The line in your log files indicate it's Intel: intel(0)

Could you switch to ATI, reboot, and send me the log files again?
The intel drivers are always loaded. The intel graphics card is used to display everything except the program specifically displayed using the nvidia drivers.

I can run a program with the nvidia drivers, but after reboot these lines still have intel(0). I'm not completely sure what you mean by "switch" (beyond running an application using primusrun).
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing