Refracta a Remastersys type snapshot/installer

Post your tutorials and howtos here.
ukbrian

Refracta a Remastersys type snapshot/installer

Postby ukbrian » 13 Aug 2013 09:26

I've used Refracta snapshot-installer a script created by fsmithred instead of Remastersys for a few years without any problems on Debian OS's but I only use the standard Linux video drivers.

Download Yad and the Refracta .deb's in this archive at http://lin.me.uk/solydx/refracta/yad-refracta.tar.gz

Unlike Remastersys any changes you make when running the snapshot DVD such as adding/removing apps will be included when you install to HDD.

Refracta is setup to use Geany to edit it's config and exclude files so I recommend installing Geany with Synaptic or you can edit the files first and not use the "Setup" option on the first snapshot screen.

Config files at "/etc/refractasnapshot.conf" and "/etc/refractainstaller.conf"
Exclude file at "/usr/lib/refractasnapshot/snapshot-exclude.list"
Snapshot log at "/var/log/refractasnapshot_errors.log
ISO files created at "/home/snapshot"

edit
Additional text added

You must also check/install with synaptic that these files are installed

Code: Select all

rsync
syslinux
genisoimage
live-boot
live-config
squashfs-tools

I find that right clicking on .deb files in thunar and trying to install with gdebi in solydx is unpredictable and gdebi seems to behave very strangely so I recommend cd'ing to where you downloaded the refracta/yad files in the terminal and running this string for all the files

sudo dpkg -i filename
end edit

Remember to disconnect or exclude any network drives or partitions you have added in fstab.
I exclude the contents of /home/data because it's a data partition I mount with this line in fstab using the partition label
"LABEL=data /home/user/data ntfs-3g defaults,uid=1000 0 0"

After installing you should have 2 new entries in your menu under "System" called "Refracta Installer" and "Refracta Snapshot"

Video of unpacking/installing the .debs and taking a snapshot of SolydK 64 http://lin.me.uk/solydx/video/install-yad-refracta-snapshot.tar.xz

Video of installing the snapshot DVD http://lin.me.uk/solydx/video/install-dvd.tar.xz

Enjoy

rijnsma

Re: Refracta a Remastersys type snapshot/installer

Postby rijnsma » 13 Aug 2013 14:18

I have a good Clonezilla-copy of this system, so nothing dangerous.

I installed base-versions and gui's of refracta.
There are the entries in the menu. After some protests of Gdebi all went right.

Now I try to make the ISO of the total system. :mrgreen:

And try to restore on this multiboot system.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 13 Aug 2013 16:49

The proces of making the ISO and the livedvd went right, but it was a larger ISO like the one made by remastersys.

When I booted the livedvd most of the icons on the desktop were on other places then the original.
Dropbox complained, but I've seen that before on livecd's.
There was no web-connection. And I couldn't make it either.
I don't know if there were more tiny problems.
This was not steady like a rock. And not too user-friendly.

When I tried to install the system there was a question about 'Grub automatic or by hand'.
Automatic is not possible here I think. This multiboot-system has PCLOS with the MBR + refreshable
bootloader old style for switching the distro's. All the other 'Grubs' are for their respective partition.
I don't know what Grub 'by hand' will result in. (When not taking the right steps in Clonezilla it
some years ago every time distroyed my MBR and so my whole system until I found out about
expert-choice etc. But that was several weeks later... :lol: )

So I don't exactly know yet what to say about it, ukbrian. :? Maybe you can help me out?
And else I'll try. And restore by images when it does not work right.

This far it also boots the livedvd and the OS and I hope it will be magic installing when all will be clear. 8-)

ukbrian

Postby ukbrian » 14 Aug 2013 07:40

I posted a link to this thread on the devs forum http://refracta.freeforums.org/problem-with-refracta-on-solydxk-t305.html and got this reply
Right now, I don't want to join another forum and have another place to check for messages, but maybe you can relay the message.

The grub choices are:
- install to mbr
- install to partition
- don't install bootloader

The installer should work with grub-legacy, grub-gfx or grub-pc(grub2). dzz uses grub-legacy, I think, and it works for him. In fact, he supplied the code to get it to do that.

If someone wants to keep their current bootloader, they should choose not to install grub. Then they can add an entry for refracta to their current bootloader (probably boot into the system that's controlling grub and run update-grub. If that doesn't work, add an entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then run update-grub, assuming they're using grub2/grub-pc and not grub-legacy.)

Don't know what to say about the desktop icons - I think he's the first one to have that problem. What desktop environment was it?
Don't know what to say about network connection, because he didn't say anything about what he tried.

Hope that helps.

I know nothing about the grub your using but I hope this helps or someone else has the knowledge.

I stop Dropbox from auto starting and exclude the Dropbox folder when I take a snapshot and then reinstall it when I install the image.

All new software is a little strange at first
Hope this helps

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 14 Aug 2013 08:34

Thanks a lot ukbrian. When I have the time I think I'll do some experimentation.
(Like I wrote, I have clones. So I can destroy whatever I want. :D )
I let you know what's happening. ;)

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 14 Aug 2013 18:04

I tried the options 'simple' and 'expert' at install.

It does not work right. Not for the 'simple mode' and not in 'the expert mode'.
The simple mode will install Grub in the MBR of the disk it looks like. That is not what I want.
That is the switch for the several operating systems (PCLOS in this case).

In the expert-mode there are options I don't understand.
Of course the 'swap-partition' on the bootdisk has to be used. So why ask?
Grub has to go with this system to the partition the install is on. It will have an own bootloader.
So we have the first bootloader, the switch to the OSes (at this time PCLOS).
After the choice the bootloader appears, that is of the partition itself on wich our new install will be on.

I don't know how to manual do things with Grub(1) and ugly Grub(2), in PCLOS I use redo-MBR, so it looks that's no option for this moment. I only want to send Grub 1 or 2 where I install the OS.

And then I'm sorry to tell:
at install the proces stops. I see the pop-up left to right and back. But nothing happens anymore after some time, so I halt the proces.

The livedvd still does not have web-connection and it stays that way.
And there are other not so important things..

I don't think this is going to work flawlessly, ukbrian. :?

Postby 4815162342 » 15 Aug 2013 02:31

worked flawlessly for me on solydx

Postby 4815162342 » 15 Aug 2013 02:47

Of course the 'swap-partition' on the bootdisk has to be used. So why ask?
I would think it would be to give you the choice of not using it. What is wrong with asking?

Grub has to go with this system to the partition the install is on. It will have an own bootloader.
Why?

If you have another OS installed and you want it to retain control of grub then skip installing grub completely.Boot into that other OS and run update-grub or manually add it to the grub config file.

If you want refracta to control grub then install grub to the mbr.

There really is no reason to install grub to a partition.

Regardless you can always change it later.

But nothing happens anymore after some time, so I halt the proces.

How long? Did you check your processes to see what was going on?

The livedvd still does not have web-connection and it stays that way.

Did the install have a connection? Mine does and the live image had it as well.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 15 Aug 2013 08:42

I would think it would be to give you the choice of not using it. What is wrong with asking?

Oh, I thought Linux always needs it? But this is nothing serious. It is only a small remark.
If you have another OS installed and you want it to retain control of grub then skip installing grub completely.Boot into that other OS and run update-grub or manually add it to the grub config file.

I tried without Grub on the install partition while experimenting. But it does not boot from the partition then.
If you want refracta to control grub then install grub to the mbr.

No that's not what I want, this system has be 'switched' by (in this case) PCLOS which has the mbr and after that by the bootloader of the system on partition. :)
By the way, the (PCLOS-)Grub 1 bootloader is very much simpler to addapt to other multiboot-configurations then Grub 2. Redo-mbr and you have a new one; very comfortable and simple.
I want Refracta or Remastersys just to make a bootable/installable livedvd. Remastersys does (did) so.
How long? Did you check your processes to see what was going on?

Three quarters of an hour. It looked like it was in a loop. It only gives a very simple pop-up screen with 'Okay and Cancel' and a 'Progress-left to right and reverse-bar'. The PC did almost nothing anymore.
Did the install have a connection? Mine does and the live image had it as well.

The livedvd didn't have a connection and there's nothing I can do about it. The OS did not start up from the partition, so I don't know if the eventually installed OS would have.

(After that I checked by putting back an OS WattOS-version to that partition and that runs flawlessly.
So nothing wrong there.)

Thanks for your attention. Appreciate it. ;)

ukbrian

Postby ukbrian » 09 Oct 2013 09:52

I have added an edit to the original post
edit
Additional text added

You must also check/install with synaptic that these files are installed

rsync
syslinux
genisoimage
live-boot
live-config
squashfs-tools

I find that right clicking on .deb files in thunar and trying to install with gdebi in solydx is unpredictable and gdebi seems to behave very strangely so I recommend cd'ing to where you downloaded the refracta/yad files in the terminal and running this string for all the files

sudo dpkg -i filename
end edit

williammanda

Postby williammanda » 19 Dec 2013 00:27

ukbrian
This is great stuff! I created an iso, installed it, and was running Mythtv in just over 20 minutes total. Heck the usb worked just like the regular install.
I read up alittle and saw a couple of changes that could be made to your setup:

1. Download the four Refracta files:
refractainstaller-base_9.0.8-4_all.deb
refractainstaller-gui_9.0.8-3_all.deb
refractasnapshot-base_9.0.9-7_all.deb
refractasnapshot-gui_9.0.9-8_all.deb

from this site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/tools/

You can see that they are newer revisions.

2. The Yad package isn't needed if zenity is installed (which is was on my OS install). This was outlined in the readme.refractainstaller.txt.

3. The recommendation to use Geany is no longer needed. I forgot where I read it, maybe it was on the website but I was able to use gedit for editing the config and exclude files.

Thanks for helping me!

ukbrian

Postby ukbrian » 19 Dec 2013 10:46

This is great stuff! I created an iso, installed it, and was running Mythtv in just over 20 minutes total. Heck the usb worked just like the regular install.
Glad it worked out well for you friend and thanks for posting, I love the use of wild cards in the excludes.

I use a NTFS data partition rather than a separate home partition that gets mounted in fstab with

LABEL=data   /home/user/data   ntfs-3g  defaults,uid=1000   0      0
so I just exclude it with "- /home/user/data/*" and I've added the second echo line to /usr/bib/refractainstaller-yad at about line 1153 so when I boot into my new install everything works

fi
echo -e "proc\t\t/proc\tproc\tdefaults\t0\t0
$install_part\t/\t$fs_type_os\tdefaults,noatime\t0\t1" > /target/etc/fstab
echo -e "LABEL=data   /home/user/data   ntfs-3g  defaults,uid=1000   0      0" > /target/etc/fstab
check_exit

Have a look at http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/team.html particularly Downloads > Testing/Unstable you'll find some beta's in there that work well.

The other one that might interest you is refracta2usb which they are working on a lot.

One major difference between Remastersys and Refracta is that when your running the live ISO any changes you make add/remove software etc are then included if you do an install afterwards.

How did the Refracta installer compare with the SolydXK installer?.
Would it make sense for Schoelje to use Refracta to create the SolydXK ISO's similarly to what Anthony Nordquist did with SalineOS when he created his ISO's with Remastersys but customized the remastersys installer.

dzz has already got Refracta working with Sid so I don't think Refracta is a dead end.
I read up alittle and saw a couple of changes that could be made to your setup:

1. Download the four Refracta files:
refractainstaller-base_9.0.8-4_all.deb
refractainstaller-gui_9.0.8-3_all.deb
refractasnapshot-base_9.0.9-7_all.deb
refractasnapshot-gui_9.0.9-8_all.deb

from this site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/tools/
I'm not much good at the written word so if you had the time to rewrite the my first post to make it more readable for other folk I'd replace it.

J.Jay

Postby J.Jay » 22 Dec 2013 03:41

seems to work well. (A good snapshot to a live kept me dullbooting with another debiand spin :lol: )

Three (3) points
1. need xtem for installer (maybe I uninstalled somewhow) :oops:

2. Remember like Remastersys you'll be running in a 'qusi-live' enviroment so some sysystem app won't run thinking your not installed to a HDD system yet. Most like DDM (debian-plymouth-manager) will run correctly using the force paremeter. ;) IE from 'alt-F2 'debian-plymouth-manager -f'

3. I don't think you can have propritiary drivers install (my hardware don't but knew couldn't with remastersys), so revert to generic drivers (if can :| ) with 'DDM' and reinstall after snapshop (need -f parameter I believe, not sur if work in a live thou :oops: )

J.Jay

williammanda

Postby williammanda » 28 Dec 2013 01:12

J.Jay wrote:3. I don't think you can have propritiary drivers install (my hardware don't but knew couldn't with remastersys), so revert to generic drivers (if can :| ) with 'DDM' and reinstall after snapshop (need -f parameter I believe, not sur if work in a live thou :oops: )

As far as my testing...I have used nvidia without any problems.

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 12 Jan 2014 09:55

I have been meaning to try Refracta for some time and have eventually got around to it these last few days.
Very impressed, not one problem and thanks to Ukbrian for the video tutorials.

ukbrian

Postby ukbrian » 17 Feb 2014 05:16

J.Jay wrote:seems to work well. (A good snapshot to a live kept me dullbooting with another debiand spin :lol: )

Three (3) points
1. need xtem for installer (maybe I uninstalled somewhow) :oops:

2. Remember like Remastersys you'll be running in a 'qusi-live' enviroment so some sysystem app won't run thinking your not installed to a HDD system yet. Most like DDM (debian-plymouth-manager) will run correctly using the force paremeter. ;) IE from 'alt-F2 'debian-plymouth-manager -f'

3. I don't think you can have propritiary drivers install (my hardware don't but knew couldn't with remastersys), so revert to generic drivers (if can :| ) with 'DDM' and reinstall after snapshop (need -f parameter I believe, not sur if work in a live thou :oops: )

J.Jay
Great feedback J.Jay +1

williammanda wrote:As far as my testing...I have used nvidia without any problems.
That's good news friend, I was unsure as I only use the standard drivers. +1

dyfi wrote:I have been meaning to try Refracta for some time and have eventually got around to it these last few days.
Very impressed, not one problem and thanks to Ukbrian for the video tutorials.
I'm pleased it was useful to you friend.

1232 reads and only 7 folk have posted?
It's either working well or folk can't be arsed to post.

Oh well, back to work

Return to “Tutorials”