Energy consumption: SolydX vs SolydK

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
palimmo

Energy consumption: SolydX vs SolydK

Postby palimmo » 09 Mar 2017 17:21

Does SolydX consume sensibly less energy than SolydK?
Do you have some data about it?
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

ilu

Re: Energy consumption: SolydX vs SolydK

Postby ilu » 10 Mar 2017 16:02

How would you suggest to measure this?

I think there are only very few people that use both systems on the same hardware. And even then organizing similar conditions for measuring would be nearly impossible.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 11 Mar 2017 22:04

palimmo wrote:Does SolydX consume sensibly less energy than SolydK?
Do you have some data about it?
Maybe you could do a test with 2 standard installed systems, one SolydK and one the other. Just let them boot with a full battery, then don't do anything, just let the computer sit there waiting for the power system to shut it down because the battery has reached almost 0%.
When you start using programs it is a matter of when do you start them, how long are you using them, what do you do with them, difficult to find identical situations.
When you let the computer just stand there and measure the time till it shuts down, of course with identical settings for power, for no screensaver, for no shutdown after so many minutes, then you will have a value. If it is any good is still doubtful but at least you have something.

srq2625

Postby srq2625 » 11 Mar 2017 23:30

Something that will take considerably less time is to run some video in a loop, no screen shutdown, no hibernate, etc.

But the question will still remain whether this result will be useful. I don't know.
Just Scott

Remember that life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!
-- Vicki Corona (Tahitian Choreographies, 1989)

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 12 Mar 2017 12:20

For those with computers powered by a mains plug just fit a plug which tells you how much current is being consumed.
Some uk utilities provide 'smart meters' which effectively do this for the total supply consumption.

martin welsh

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 13 Mar 2017 10:07

Since XFCE uses less resources, is it wrong to think that it consumes less energy as well?
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Mar 2017 15:34

No, but I think only by a very small margin. But if KDE needs considerably more time for each operation (so that you have to wait for it to finish) then SolydX will consume less time and subsequently less energy.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 14 Mar 2017 00:57

the cpu power usage might different but the system still using almost same amount energy for everything else (i.e: screen, wifi, fan, boards, etc). in the end the total power usage usually not much different.

btw, if you're using a laptop, you can use powertop to roughly calculate the power usage. though, it doesn't measure screen and other external hardwares.

Return to “Newbie Questions”