[Solved] Can't install, can't boot

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
THN

[Solved] Can't install, can't boot

Postby THN » 11 Jun 2018 21:21

I have UEFI GPT multiboot environment where I wish to install solydk_9_64_201801-2.iso onto /dev/sda6. I just dumped Kubuntu 18.04 to give SolydK a try...
First thing: although already ext4, the installer obliged me to re-format sda6, so I did. I don't really like this, because I usually like to keep my /home folder (under another name)
Anyways, with or without installing grub on sda6 (/boot/efi always on sda1), and the installer coming to an end without any kind of success message, the system wouldn't boot up. I always fall on a recovery (text) console, with no login possible. X doesn't start, I only see some messages from the firewall deamon. dmesg shows a bunch of failed starts.
Is it normal that the installer doesn't finish with a proper success message?
What can I do to install correctly?
THN

ilu

Re: Can't install, can't boot

Postby ilu » 12 Jun 2018 21:42

1. You can't keep your old /home if it's on the system partition (together with /root). That's why it's always a good idea to separate data and system onto 2 partitions.

2. There's no way to debug this without at least some info about your systems hardware.

3. Even on a fallback console login should be possible. How do you get there if the system doesn't boot? What does this console tell you?

4. If you manage to login on console, can you enter the following commands and show us the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
sudo dmesg | grep ERROR
cat /var/log/live-installer-3.log
I'm not exactly sure about the location of the installer logs, try it and report back.

THN

Postby THN » 13 Jun 2018 17:49

I actually cannot login as the user I had created during install doesn't seem to exist (root neither), and my typing is always interrupted by messages popping up.

THN

albatrosdk

Postby albatrosdk » 14 Jun 2018 07:11

THN wrote:
11 Jun 2018 21:21

Is it normal that the installer doesn't finish with a proper success message?
What can I do to install correctly?
THN
No, if it doesn't say that the install is finished, it's usually broken and you will experience errors or weird behaviour.

A thing you could try is to replace the harddrive(if you have an extra) and try to install SolydXK as the only OS, that would at least give an indication of whether the issue is hardware-related or related to UEFI/GPT/Multiboot.

I've had similar issues, I got them fixed by doing a BIOS reset to defaults and then doing the install again. There was also recently an error in Ubuntu(I think, related to Dell) that did some weird modifications in the BIOS boot settings causing all sorts of weird stuff.

But my best bet would be to try BIOS reset and then an empty drive. I know that is not what you are trying to do but it will give a good indication as to what is going on.

HTH

/tony

ilu

Postby ilu » 14 Jun 2018 14:10

GPT/UEFI multiboot setups usually work. And of course the installer will tell you when it's finished. Obviously it failed somewhere.

Boot one of your working systems, mount the SolydK system partition and have a look at the logs from there. You did not choose encryption, didn't you? Also, make sure that the installer does not put /var/log onto RAM (which it might do if you install on SSD), there's an option to prevent that.

Also boot into the live system and check whether it booted correctly into UEFI modus (ls /sys/firmware/efi).

A BIOS reset might be a good idea but I'd hesitate since you would not want to bork your other systems.

THN

Postby THN » 14 Jun 2018 19:19

Hi

indeed I can look up the content of /dev/sda6 from any other of my partitions on sda, just let me know what you would like to see.

/sys is empty
/var/log has a couple of folders, all of which are empty.
/boot has a vmlinuz-4.9.0-5-amd64 and a initrd.img-4.9.0-5-amd64
/home is empty !?!?
/etc/fstab is empty !?!?!

I will try some other ways to install and report back, but I won't change my system's main disk partitioning scheme

THN

THN

Postby THN » 14 Jun 2018 21:01

OK, so there we are... up and running with SolydK!

Only problem was... ISO of Live CD is not compatible with MultiSystem (or vice versa), so you better use a "simple" USB key.

This post can be marked as SOLVED

Will now start trying out this new distro... thanks for your help.

THN

ilu

Postby ilu » 15 Jun 2018 16:59

Great you got it working.
THN wrote:
14 Jun 2018 21:01
Only problem was... ISO of Live CD is not compatible with MultiSystem (or vice versa), so you better use a "simple" USB key.
This is most probably a "preference" of your hardware because the ISO is the same whether you burn it on DVD or use a USB key.

THN

Re: [Solved] Can't install, can't boot

Postby THN » 16 Jun 2018 08:08

Probably, but I usually integrate new ISOs on one "big" USB key with multisystem (http://liveusb.info/dotclear/). This didn't work with the SolydK's ISO for some reason. I don't know what multisystem does. Anyway, by putting the ISO on a stick with the good old

Code: Select all

dd if=ISO of=USB bs=1M
I got the installer work thru the end and then boot up.

THN

Postby THN » 24 Aug 2018 16:59

It's completely stupid but upon a fresh install I made the same error AGAIN. :oops:

It's however (a bit) sad to see that SolydK refuses to work with multisystem, which is still a nice way to put a bunch of ISOs on a single stick.

Of course you will say that it is multisystem's fault, but I can testify that multisystem DOES well digest the iso's of many distributions.

Never mind.

THN

ilu

Postby ilu » 25 Aug 2018 14:54

For me SolydK boots without problem from a USB pen drive with several ISOs on it. I created the pen drive with Solydxk's USB Creator.
I don't know the software you used, but generally the multisystem software has to know the distributions it integrates. Since Solydxk is a small distribution I'm guessing that that french site has never heard of it. So no wonder it doesn't work. You could ask them to integrate support for SolydX and SolydK.

But glad you got your system installed.

Return to “Installation”