[solved ... and then not !!!] kworker is killing my machine again ...

Questions about software.
ilu

Re: [solved ... and then not !!!] kworker is killing my machine again ...

Postby ilu » 28 Oct 2018 17:49

bpo = backports

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 30 Oct 2018 07:21

bpo = backports
Ho ... :) I could have guessed that by myself ....

But I can't stay by 4.9.17. It won't allow Thunderbird to launch.

So I'm back with 4.9.08, and I have one or two incidents pro day. Bugger.

ilu

Postby ilu » 30 Oct 2018 11:38

I'm now using 4.18.0-16.1-liquorix-amd64 from Steven Pussers Liquorix backport for stretch and Thunderbird doesn't have any launch problems. Actually, no program has launch problems. Every liquorix kernel starting with 4.11 worked on my otherwise SolydX stable system.

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 01 Nov 2018 18:15

I have now the same Liquorix Kernel as Ilu. 4.18.0-16.1-liquorix-amd64.

Question : should still have the «echo 10000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs» active, or not ?

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 01 Nov 2018 18:25

Well ... first «Kworker-attack» after 5 minutes. Not good.

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Nov 2018 18:45

If kernel developers don't know what to do we also won't be able to fix this. If the liquorix kernel doesn't make things worse, stick with it. Have you added the repo? That way if the problem gets fixed you'll get the fix right away.

Have you tried one of the tools mentioned here: https://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/? Just don't follow the installation instructions for Ubuntu (no ppa please!).I haven't checked instructions for Debian, if you run into problems, report back. Try one tool after the other unless they are compatible. At least the tools could help to monitor the problem.

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 01 Nov 2018 18:52

I have installed (right now) thermald (it is accessible through the repositories). I'll post an update. Thank you !

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 05 Nov 2018 15:05

My problem evolves. Right now, I have a Kworker- process that hogs my processors, but with a clue ; «kworker/0:3 kacpi_notifiy», instead of the usual «kworker:0». Is really a clue ?

ilu

Postby ilu » 05 Nov 2018 23:15

Another approach: Use synaptic to install linux-tools and linux-perf. This will install the version for Kernel 4.9 (they must match), so now reboot and use grub menu to boot into the standard stretch 4.9 kernel and wait for the problem to start. Then:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/33640/kworker-what-is-it-and-why-is-it-hogging-so-much-cpu wrote: Record some 10 seconds of backtraces on all your CPUs: sudo perf record -g -a sleep 10
Analyse your recording: sudo perf report
(Navigate the call graph with ←, →, ↑, ↓ and Enter.)
Post the perf output. I haven't tried this because I was too lazy to boot into the 4.9 kernel.

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 07 Nov 2018 22:30

Record some 10 seconds of backtraces on all your CPUs: sudo perf record -g -a sleep 10
Should I do it while my machine is in normal state, or in crisis mode ?

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 07 Nov 2018 23:13

The file is too big to attach. Even with 5 seconds. (9 and 6 Mb)

I can see that a «normal mode» report for 10 seconds is 4.4 MB, when in «crisis» mode for 10 seconds, it is 9.6MB

Here is at least an excerpt

Code: Select all

+   68.19%     0.12%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] __switch_to_asm                                                                                                ▒
+   68.07%     0.12%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] worker_thread                                                                                                  ▒
+   68.07%     0.00%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] kthread                                                                                                        ▒
+   68.07%     0.00%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] ret_from_fork                                                                                                  ▒
+   67.70%     0.22%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] process_one_work                                                                                               ▒
+   66.03%     0.06%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_os_execute_deferred                                                                                       ▒
+   60.75%     0.11%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ev_asynch_execute_gpe_method                                                                              ▒
+   60.16%     0.07%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ns_evaluate                                                                                               ▒
+   57.16%     0.07%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ps_execute_method                                                                                         ▒
+   55.25%     0.10%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ps_parse_aml                                                                                              ▒
+   50.92%     1.58%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ps_parse_loop                                                                                             ▒
+   27.01%     1.23%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ds_exec_end_op                                                                                            ▒
+   12.85%     0.23%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] cpu_startup_entry                                                                                              ▒
+   11.63%     0.28%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ps_get_next_namepath                                                                                      ▒
+   10.65%     0.74%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ns_lookup                                                                                                 ▒
+   10.40%     4.42%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] kmem_cache_alloc                                                                                               ▒
+    9.24%     0.36%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ns_search_and_enter                                                                                       ▒
+    8.59%     8.35%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ns_search_one_scope                                                                                       ▒
+    8.54%     0.21%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] down_timeout                                                                                                   ▒
+    7.96%     0.23%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_os_release_object                                                                                         ▒
+    7.52%     0.12%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] cpuidle_enter_state                                                                                            ▒
+    7.50%     0.55%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ds_create_operand                                                                                         ▒
+    6.98%     6.98%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_os_write_port                                                                                             ▒
+    6.71%     0.00%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] start_secondary                                                                                                ▒
+    6.15%     1.08%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ps_create_op                                                                                              ▒
+    6.14%     0.00%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] start_kernel                                                                                                   ▒
+    6.14%     0.00%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] early_idt_handler_common                                                                                       ▒
+    6.14%     0.00%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] x86_64_start_kernel                                                                                            ▒
+    6.11%     0.41%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ut_create_generic_state                                                                                   ▒
+    5.79%     0.05%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ex_store                                                                                                  ▒
+    5.71%     0.31%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ds_create_operands                                                                                        ▒
+    5.68%     0.12%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ex_opcode_1A_1T_1R                                                                                        ▒
+    5.66%     0.05%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ex_store_object_to_node                                                                                   ▒
+    5.65%     0.20%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ex_field_datum_io                                                                                         ▒
+    5.49%     0.29%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ex_insert_into_field                                                                                      ▒
+    5.42%     0.05%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ev_asynch_enable_gpe                                                                                      ▒
+    5.38%     0.14%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ex_write_data_to_field                                                                                    ▒
+    5.17%     0.29%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ex_access_region                                                                                          ▒
+    5.06%     0.00%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ev_finish_gpe                                                                                             ▒
+    4.99%     0.90%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ut_update_object_reference                                                                                ▒
+    4.96%     0.46%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ps_complete_op                                                                                            ▒
+    4.83%     0.42%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ev_address_space_dispatch                                                                                 ▒
+    4.66%     0.03%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ds_evaluate_name_path                                                                                     ▒
+    4.52%     0.00%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] ret_from_intr                                                                                                  ▒
+    4.52%     0.01%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] do_IRQ                                                                                                         ▒
+    4.45%     0.71%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ex_resolve_to_value                                                                                       ▒
+    4.43%     0.07%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_hw_write_port                                                                                             ▒
+    4.37%     0.05%  kworker/0:2      [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] acpi_ex_write_with_update_rule                                                                                 ▒
+    4.32%     0.00%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] handle_irq                                                                                                     ▒
+    4.31%     0.01%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] handle_fasteoi_irq                                                                                             ▒
+    4.28%     0.00%  swapper          [kernel.kallsyms]                   [k] handle_irq_event                                                                                               ▒

ilu

Postby ilu » 11 Nov 2018 02:44

In crisis mode. Have a look at the askubuntu posting about perf by tanius in https://askubuntu.com/questions/33640/k ... o-much-cpu. I forgot step 3 after logging the crisis, which is: sudo perf report. It seems to result in a graph. I have never seen such a graph, so I can't tell you what to expect. Maybe you can screenshot it.

Return to “Software”