[Solved] Update of SolydK 9 by Discover

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
ydek

[Solved] Update of SolydK 9 by Discover

Postby ydek » 06 Aug 2018 18:26

Hello,
When upgrading the system by the Discover, also have Kernel update how to get through the terminal?
And what are the correct commands to update the SolydK 9 201807 by the terminal?
I am having these doubts to know if update by Discover is safe and complete equal to update by the terminal command.

Thank you.

xendistar

Re: Update of SolydK 9 by Discover

Postby xendistar » 06 Aug 2018 20:30

I don't use Discover so can offer any details on that but this is what I use when I update via a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Aug 2018 20:52

I use Discover on my main machine and never had a problem. I update whenever there is an update available.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ydek

Postby ydek » 06 Aug 2018 21:47

@Arjen, I also using Discover to update the SolydK and there are no problems with your confirmation I will continue using.
@xendistar, thanks for the tip of the commands. I will note here not to forget.

Thank you all for the replies.

kurotsugi

Re: [Solved] Update of SolydK 9 by Discover

Postby kurotsugi » 09 Aug 2018 04:18

for main version user, the correct command should be "apt-get upgrade". "dist-upgrade" only used for upgrading the system, e.x: from solydxk 9 to solydxk 10. while there's almost no differences on stock system, "dist-upgrade" could potentially ruin your system if you have custom repo list.

ydek

Postby ydek » 09 Aug 2018 12:34

kurotsugi wrote:
09 Aug 2018 04:18
for main version user, the correct command should be "apt-get upgrade". "dist-upgrade" only used for upgrading the system, e.x: from solydxk 9 to solydxk 10. while there's almost no differences on stock system, "dist-upgrade" could potentially ruin your system if you have custom repo list.
Thanks for the tip and for the remark.
To update SolydK 9, I'm working with Discover, which is very simple, in the panel appears the notification of updates and click to update, very simple.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 09 Aug 2018 20:41

kurotsugi wrote:
09 Aug 2018 04:18
I guess I should of mentioned that, I have used that command (dist-upgrade) for quite a while without issue but that is not to say that somebody else who has additional repos won't have problems if they used it so apologises for that.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 10 Aug 2018 00:54

I think there's no need to apologize. some of the old user indeed still carry the old habbit of maintaining a debian testing based system, which exactly the opposite (i.e : always do "dist-upgrade" instead of "upgrade". do an "upgrade" on debian testing will ruin your system). your good intention should be appreciated. no harm is actually done since I believe most of user run a stock system :3

Return to “Newbie Questions”