I want SolydK and no SolydX

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
Mia

I want SolydK and no SolydX

Postby Mia » 13 Sep 2018 17:39

Hello,
First of all, excuse me if the question is already asked, but I am French and I read English badly, I am currently using Google Translate.
I installed SolydK in VirtualBox on my old PC several months ago, I found this distribution very beautiful graphically.
Unfortunately, it seems incompatible with my new material. :(
I first wanted to install a copy of the same virtual machine, it bugged at the opening.
So I downloaded the latest version and checked the checksum, but the problem is the same, the menu is not even present, and if I click on something, it immediately crashes.
I tried then to install SolydX, and there it is good. :o
I definitely prefer KDE to Xfce, and do not like Thunar at all compared to Dolphin, so I'm not going to use much, it's a shame.
Would you have a solution to my problem?
Thanks a lot for your answers. :)

SilverBear

Re: I want SolydK and no SolydX

Postby SilverBear » 13 Sep 2018 20:48

Welcome to SolydXK, Mia!
I am sorry to hear you have a problem. I prefer KDE (SolydK), too.
But KDE needs more RAM than XFCE desktop (SolydX).
Is it possible to give your virtual machine more RAM?
That would be the first thing to try, je crois.
"masai7" Intel i7 3770k; 16GB RAM; GeForce GTX-750 - SolydK 9

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Sep 2018 21:28

To help you we need more more information: Which exact SolydK ISO did you use? How much memory and disk space did you assign to your VM?
---
Pour vous aider, nous avons besoin de plus d'informations :Quel ISO exactement avez-vous utilisé ? Combien de mémoire et d'espace disque avez-vous alloué à votre VM ?

N'utilisez pas Google mais deepl.com/translator, s'il vous plaît. J'ai trouvé que c'est beaucoup mieux. Et c'est une petite entreprise qui n'a aucun lien avec l'industrie mondiale des collecteurs de données.
---
Please don't use Google but deepl.com/translator. I found that it is much better. And it is a small company without any connections to the global data collection industry.

Mia

Postby Mia » 14 Sep 2018 11:35

Hello SilverBear and ilu,

I had already written my message with DeepL, and I had a doubt about translating several words.
Google gave me a translation that better matched what I meant.
But you're right, DeepL is the best way to avoid data collection ;)

I gave 2048 MB of Ram and 20 GB of disk space to the VM.

However, I think that the amount of ram assigned is a possibility to be ruled out for several reasons:
- SolydK is installed on my first PC which is less powerful than the second, and yet it runs perfectly
- I used a copy of the same machine on my second PC (so the same settings)
- then restarted using this time a new iso (solydk_9_64_64_201807)
- KDE has a reputation for being resource-intensive, but Manjaro KDE and Kde Neon, whom I also have in VM, are no problem.

Thank you for your interest :)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Mia

Postby Mia » 16 Sep 2018 08:16

Good morning, everyone,

A little up before I resign myself to using SolydX, which I must admit is not so unpleasant with the relooking of the distro ;)

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 19 Sep 2018 11:49

a quick shot would be your graphic card. do you have either nvidia or amd/ati card in your machine? if yes, please make sure you have installed the propietary driver. these kind of cases usually need a deep investigation. at minimum, we'll need to check both kernel and X logs.

anyway, please run "inxi -Fxz" and tell us the result

Mia

Postby Mia » 19 Sep 2018 12:51

Thank you for helping me, kurotsugi,

I read in the driver manager that no proprietary drivers are used.
This is no problem for the host, and about twenty installed virtual machines, only SolydK and NuTyX (for the RR version alone), are problematic.

Code: Select all

mia@mia-PC4 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: mia-PC4 Kernel: 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: H61M-P23 (MS-7680) v: 3.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: V17.3 date: 07/27/2011
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-2600 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27139
           clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 1596 MHz 2: 1596 MHz 3: 1596 MHz
           4: 1596 MHz 5: 1596 MHz 6: 1596 MHz 7: 1596 MHz 8: 1596 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT [Radeon R9 290X]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-34-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii HDMI Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-2 Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-34-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet
           driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter usb-ID: 003-003
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 7001.4GB (42.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST2000DX001 size: 2000.4GB temp: 49C
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SAMSUNG_HD103SI size: 1000.2GB temp: 40C
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: M3_Portable size: 4000.8GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 46G used: 12G (26%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: /boot size: 939M used: 401M (45%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-3: /home size: 917G used: 373G (43%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 17.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 53.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 245 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 5773.7/16021.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
mia@mia-PC4 ~ $ 

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 20 Sep 2018 07:03

another quick shot would be installing the backport kernel or use the EE version. IIRC was several glitch on the EE version but I've heard it already fixed now. I'm not sure if it worth to fix the issue since it's related with graphic card stuffs. there are lot of stuff need to be investigated. we usually wait until we got new kernel and see whether if the issue got fixed or not.

Mia

Postby Mia » 20 Sep 2018 10:05

I didn't get a translation that would allow me to fully understand your answer, but I think you advise me to wait for the next kernel, which is what I will do.
Thank you for your interest in my case.

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Sep 2018 16:31

The R9 290 "Hawaii" GPU doesn't work well with the Radeon driver. And searching for it I see reports about failure with KDE - whereas XFCE works. These GPUs (GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1) are difficult because they fall into AMDs transition period in between radeon and amdgpu driver. Your card is GCN 1.1 type and it would be better to use amdgpu driver but I'm struggling to get that to work. A newer kernel would be necessary but not enough - also mesa and x11 need to be updated.

So, since this is a virtual machine and I guess that you are of the adventurous kind I would recommend to try the SolydXK Enthusiast’s Editions (EE) which is based on Debian testing. It was broken with KDE but this got fixed recently. (That's what kurotsugi was trying to tell you.)
You can try any of the ISOs in https://downloads.solydxk.com/ce/testing/ and report any issues in this thread https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.ph ... =20#p68897.
--------------
Le GPU R9 290 "Hawaii" ne fonctionne pas bien avec Radeon. Et en le cherchant, je vois des rapports sur les échecs avec KDE - alors que XFCE fonctionne. Ces GPU (GCN 1.0 et GCN 1.1) sont difficiles parce quils tombent dans la période de transition AMD entre radeon et amdgpu. Votre carte est de type GCN 1.1 et il serait préférable d'utiliser le pilote amdgpu, mais j'ai du mal à le faire fonctionner. Un noyau plus récent serait nécessaire mais pas suffisant - mesa et x11 doivent aussi être mis à jour.

Donc, puisqu'il s'agit d'une machine virtuelle et que je suppose que vous êtes du genre aventureux, je vous recommande d'essayer les SolydXK Enthusiast's Editions (EE) qui sont basées sur les Debian testing. Il a été cassé avec KDE mais cela a été corrigé récemment. C'est ce que Kurotsugi essayait de vous dire.
Vous pouvez essayer l'un des ISOs dans https://downloads.solydxk.com/ce/testing/ et signaler n'tout problème dans ce thread https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.ph ... =20#p68897.

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator - I'm again and again amazed at how good this works. I'm not good at french but I only corrected 4 minor mistakes and the rest now sounds "very french". :)

Mia

Postby Mia » 21 Sep 2018 15:33

Sorry I'm late, I saw your answer by chance while cleaning my open windows, I hadn't been notified by email this time.
I wondered what EE was, I now understand that this is a Debian testing database.

You tell me to update mesa and x11, they probably are because I will update all the updates regularly.
I also always install the most recent kernel proposed by Mint, but I have never done a backport.
You also recommend the AMDGPU pilot, but you say you have trouble getting it to work. I don't use the proprietary drivers and I'm reluctant to learn how to install it if it doesn't work well for you.

I use virtual machines precisely because I'm not very adventurous: I don't want to break my system, and it's so easy with snapshot to fix things. :D
I will try the EE iso after the weekend and report the result in the appropriate topic. ;)

Translations differ slightly between DeepL and Google Translation.
I often find Google more relevant, but I can be wrong because I have a very poor command of your language :)

Return to “Installation”