[Solved [Help]] Resize EFI Partition

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
User avatar
jsvenancio
Posts: 178
Joined: 16 Dec 2013 17:59
Location: Portugal
Contact:

[Solved [Help]] Resize EFI Partition

Postby jsvenancio » 15 Sep 2018 23:19

Good evening.

I'm trying to install the latest SolydX 64-bit dual boot version with windows 8.1 on a 500GB SSD. Unfortunately I came across the problem of the EFI partition that only has 99MB but to be able to complete the precise installation of increasing the EFI partition.

I've been researching but what I find is not working.

Can you help resize the EFI partition ???

INFO:

Code: Select all

DISKPART> list partition

  Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Recovery           300 MB  1024 KB
  Partition 2    System              99 MB   301 MB
  Partition 3    Reserved           128 MB   400 MB
  Partition 4    Primary            465 GB   528 MB
I thank you for your attention.
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Portuguese and use the Google translator.

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 8860
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Sep 2018 09:29

I've updated the live installer so that you can install SolydXK without changing the partition layout.

Run a live session and open a terminal:

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install live-installer-3
live-installer-3 -p
You can now install with a smaller /boot or /boot/efi partition.
The -p (--nopartitioncheck) parameter skips the size check for these partitions.

Run with -h/--help to see a list with all supported parameters.


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 8860
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Sep 2018 10:02

Check the terminal output.
When the /boot partition is really too small you get these error messages:

Code: Select all

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-8-amd64

gzip: stdout: No space left on device
E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 gzip 1
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-8-amd64 with 1.
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
which will result in an unbootable system.


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

User avatar
jsvenancio
Posts: 178
Joined: 16 Dec 2013 17:59
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby jsvenancio » 16 Sep 2018 10:28

Thank you.

I'm going to test it today.
Arjen Balfoort wrote:
16 Sep 2018 09:29
I've updated the live installer so that you can install SolydXK without changing the partition layout.

Run a live session and open a terminal:

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install live-installer-3
live-installer-3 -p
You can now install with a smaller /boot or /boot/efi partition.
The -p (--nopartitioncheck) parameter skips the size check for these partitions.

Run with -h/--help to see a list with all used parameters.
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Portuguese and use the Google translator.

User avatar
ydek
Posts: 17
Joined: 21 Jun 2018 16:18
Location: Brasil

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby ydek » 19 Sep 2018 16:06

@Arjen
What is the correct size that can be placed on an EFI partition?

User avatar
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin
Posts: 8860
Joined: 26 Jan 2013 19:36
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Sep 2018 16:20

For the live installer (without the -p parameter) an EFI partition must be 100MB or more which is also recommended by Microsoft.


SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

User avatar
ydek
Posts: 17
Joined: 21 Jun 2018 16:18
Location: Brasil

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby ydek » 19 Sep 2018 16:47

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
19 Sep 2018 16:20
For the live installer (without the -p parameter) an EFI partition must be 100MB or more which is also recommended by Microsoft.
Thanks for the explanations.

User avatar
jsvenancio
Posts: 178
Joined: 16 Dec 2013 17:59
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby jsvenancio » 21 Sep 2018 22:16

Good evening.

I followed the instructions and managed to install Distro SolydX.

But I have at least two problems to start, I could not install the Nvidia drives and I can not do the dual boot between SolydX and wIndows 8.1.

In relation to the second problem I think it has to do with "Boot Scure" and "Fast Boot", ie windows starts with "Boot Scure" and "Fast Boot" connected but SolydX only starts with these options disabled.

Is it normal or do I have a problem?
Arjen Balfoort wrote:
16 Sep 2018 09:29
I've updated the live installer so that you can install SolydXK without changing the partition layout.

Run a live session and open a terminal:

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install live-installer-3
live-installer-3 -p
You can now install with a smaller /boot or /boot/efi partition.
The -p (--nopartitioncheck) parameter skips the size check for these partitions.

Run with -h/--help to see a list with all supported parameters.
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Portuguese and use the Google translator.

User avatar
ilu
Posts: 2059
Joined: 09 Oct 2013 12:45

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby ilu » 24 Sep 2018 14:28

You have to disable "Fast boot" - fast boot is fast because it starts Windows without checking anything else.

You have to disable secure boot because Debian doesn't have a signed boot file - see my post here: https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=7378. I'm not using Windows 8 or 10 where disabling secure boot might be a problem - but people tell me that Win8 should also boot with secure boot disabled.
-------
Você tem de inutilizar 'Fast boot' - a 'Fast boot' é rápida porque ele começa o Windows imediatamente.

Você tem de inutilizar a 'secure boot' porque Debian não tem um arquivo de bota assinado - ver o meu correio aqui: https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?F=72*t=7378 . Não estou usando o Windows 8 ou 10 onde a incapacitação de 'secure boot' poderia ser um problema - mas a gente diz-me que Win8 também deve inicializar com incapacitação de 'secure boot'.

User avatar
jsvenancio
Posts: 178
Joined: 16 Dec 2013 17:59
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby jsvenancio » 06 Oct 2018 22:38

Good evening.

Thanks, it works with Fast Boot and Secure Boot off.
ilu wrote:
24 Sep 2018 14:28
You have to disable "Fast boot" - fast boot is fast because it starts Windows without checking anything else.

You have to disable secure boot because Debian doesn't have a signed boot file - see my post here: https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=7378. I'm not using Windows 8 or 10 where disabling secure boot might be a problem - but people tell me that Win8 should also boot with secure boot disabled.
-------
Você tem de inutilizar 'Fast boot' - a 'Fast boot' é rápida porque ele começa o Windows imediatamente.

Você tem de inutilizar a 'secure boot' porque Debian não tem um arquivo de bota assinado - ver o meu correio aqui: https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?F=72*t=7378 . Não estou usando o Windows 8 ou 10 onde a incapacitação de 'secure boot' poderia ser um problema - mas a gente diz-me que Win8 também deve inicializar com incapacitação de 'secure boot'.
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Portuguese and use the Google translator.

User avatar
jsvenancio
Posts: 178
Joined: 16 Dec 2013 17:59
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: [Help] Resize EFI Partition

Postby jsvenancio » 06 Oct 2018 22:38

Good evening.

This matter is solved.
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Portuguese and use the Google translator.


Return to “Newbie Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests