Firefox ESR - Loss of functionality after update

Questions about software.
klinglerware

Firefox ESR - Loss of functionality after update

Postby klinglerware » 22 Sep 2018 12:55

Hi all,

After a recent update to Firefox ESR 60.2.0, I've noticed a few issues:

1. Triple finger touch on a laptop touchpad to open links no longer works
2. Upon opening a new tab using the + icon on the upper tab bar, there is little functionality (search bar doesn't work, entering URLs also does not work)
3. My preferences page is largely blank, there are radial buttons, and check boxes with my previous selections, but no rendered text. I would have provided a screenshot, but Firefox add-ons isn't working for me right now (plugin downloads are hanging on verification)

I suspect this is something unique to my situation, since nobody seems to have reported upgrade problems (the upgrade happened two weeks ago I think).

Thanks!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Firefox ESR - Loss of functionality after update

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 22 Sep 2018 13:41

Usually it's one of the addons causing problems.
Have you tried to (temporally) move the extensions directory?

Close FF, then:

Code: Select all

mv ~/.mozilla/firefox/user.default/extensions ~/.mozilla/firefox/user.default/extensions.bak
Replace user.default with the correct name if you're not using the default path.

Open FF and see if FF is functioning as expected again. If so, install your addons one by one and testing each addon if FF is still functioning properly.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

klinglerware

Postby klinglerware » 22 Sep 2018 21:02

Thanks for the feedback, Arjen.

I removed all of my extensions, rebooted, opened Firefox, and made sure that all the extensions were gone. But unfortunately, Firefox is still not functioning properly.

patzy

Postby patzy » 22 Sep 2018 22:30

klinglerware wrote:
22 Sep 2018 12:55
....I suspect this is something unique to my situation, since nobody seems to have reported upgrade problems (the upgrade happened two weeks ago I think).
The functionality I lost was being able to edit the "edit preferences". All the first screen shows is a few bullet points and an odd box, but no text at all.
Then I found that the search engines presented had been changed (why?).

I put sorted out the search engines.
Then I spent a lot of time trying to get the edit preferences first screen to work, gave up and decided to stick with Waterfox instead.
The only thing wrong with Waterfox is that I can't get it to run Netflix. :cry:

Return to “Software”