Install EE now to change to new-stable as soon as it's out

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
ilu

Install EE now to change to new-stable as soon as it's out

Postby ilu » 31 Jan 2019 19:59

If I install SolydXEE now with the intention to stay with buster - as it is going to be the next stable soon - is there anything special I should pay attention to? Can I set the repo to buster instead of testing to avoid having to change it later? I won't have access to the device later.

grizzler

Re: Install EE now to change to new-stable as soon as it's out

Postby grizzler » 31 Jan 2019 20:45

It's ok to change the sources to buster now, but there's a package solydxee-info which shouldn't exist on a stable system. If I remember correctly all it does is cause solydxk-system to skip adjusting sources.list. That means you can't remove it now, or sources.list may get messed up (i.e. set to the current stable).

Of course if you don't remove it after buster becomes stable, the installation will continue to identify itself as an EE. I'm not aware of any ill effects of that, offhand, except maybe that any changes to sources.list that may be required in future will have to be done manually.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 01 Feb 2019 01:44

first, you have to make sure that every repo pointed to buster instead of testing. it should be easy if you have vanilla debian. things might get rough if you have another repo on top of debian repo. secondly, keep on eye on the upgrade process. using "apt-get upgrade" might works but there's no harm for being cautious.

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Feb 2019 18:29

I'll get the laptops next weeks and they still have the Jessie system I installed several years ago. Problem is, the laptops will travel out of my reach together with my friends and I won't be able to do anything if things get wrong. But that's still better than leaving them with stretch for the next 4-5 years, me thinks ...
If it's just removing that EE package I can do that over the phone.

Return to “Testing Zone”