SOLVED: SolydK10 Firefox ESR bookmarks problem

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
SilverBear

SOLVED: SolydK10 Firefox ESR bookmarks problem

Postby SilverBear » 12 Sep 2019 21:41

I've been using SolydK 10 for a few weeks now, and most everything is smooth.
One constant problem lately has been with Firefox 60.8.0esr (64 bit) bookmarking.
It must have worked when I first installed SolydK10, because I have several custom bookmark "folders" on my bookmarks toolbar.
1] The bookmarks inside those folders work. But I am unable to add any new bookmarks at all.
2] Every time I launch FF a new bookmark folder named "SolydXK" gets automatically added to my bookmarks toolbar, but there is no bookmark inside the new SolydXK folder.

Other than set up the BM folders on the BM toolbar, I haven't added any extensions to FF. It's just the stock version that came on the ISO (plus any updates from the repos).

Is anyone else having any bookmarking issues with SolydXK 10?
Any suggestions as to how to remedy this?
"masai7" : Intel i7 3770k; 16GB RAM; GeForce GTX-750 - SolydK 10

ilu

Re: SolydK10 Firefox ESR bookmarks problem

Postby ilu » 12 Sep 2019 23:37

This might be due to us testing different firefox settings for the ISO release and updating the adjustments package. Normally that should not affect your bookmarks, but maybe something went wrong there. Could you please post the output of dpkg -l solydxk* ?

SilverBear

Postby SilverBear » 13 Sep 2019 00:25

Code: Select all

silverbear@masai7:~$ dpkg -l solydxk*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ 	Name                                			Version 			Architecture 		Description
+++-==========-============-=========-========-=====================
ii  	solydxk-keyring                    			 2018.11.23   		all          		GnuPG key of the SolydXK repository
un  	solydxk-mozilla-evolvere-icon-theme 	<none>       		<none>       (no description available)
un  	solydxk-sws                         			<none>       		<none>       (no description available)
ii  	solydxk-system     					3.4.8        		all          		SolydXK core system configuration.
un 	solydxk-usb-creator     				<none>      		 <none>       (no description available)
ii  	solydxk-welcome                   			  1.7.8       		 all         		 Welcome screen for SolydXK.
silverbear@masai7:~$ 

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Sep 2019 13:00

I'm sorry, I got confused with the name - I wanted to get the version number of the "firefox-esr-solydxk-adjustments" package - which doesn't start with Solydxk.

SilverBear

Postby SilverBear » 13 Sep 2019 17:04

Code: Select all

silverbear@masai7:~$ dpkg -l firefox*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                            Version             Architecture Description
+++-===============================-===================-============-============================================================
un  firefox                         <none>              <none>       (no description available)
ii  firefox-esr                     60.8.0esr-1~deb10u1 amd64        Mozilla Firefox web browser - Extended Support Release (ESR)
un  firefox-esr-solydxk-adjustments <none>              <none>       (no description available)
ii  firefox-solydxk-adjustments     2019.07.28          all          Adjustments for Mozilla Firefox
Sorry for not cleaning up the output like I did in the previous post. I'm not sure why copying from konsole and pasting here within -code- tags doesn't preserve the original spacing. But this ought to be OK, I hope. Thanks for looking into this for me, ilu!

ilu

Postby ilu » 14 Sep 2019 12:03

Hm, the latest package is firefox-solydxk-adjustments_2019.09.06 - why is yours from July? Is there a problem with updating?
Run sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade from terminal, please.

SilverBear

Postby SilverBear » 14 Sep 2019 16:14

Well that certainly was one issue!

I got many updates coming through when I ran apt-get.

I'd been relying on the "updates" applet widget on my main KDE panel to notify me --and I didn't see anything so I didn't think about updates. I checked the Panel Option > Add Widgets list and it showed I had the app widget installed. But it wasn't visible.
I'd changed my desktop icon set to "Adwaita" some time ago, so I went in and switched it now to Breeze Dark --and the Updates notification icon has re-appeared on the taskbar. Apparently the Adwaita icon set doesn't have that icon??

Unfortunately, even though the firefox-solydxk-adjustments 2019.09.06 is now installed, the bookmarking function still fails, and every time I launch FF I still get another new empty "SolydXK" folder added to my bookmarks toolbar.

I will try completely removing FF, erasing my home directory Mozilla config files, and reinstalling after a reboot. I'll report back later today (or tomorrow if I don't have time today).
Thanks again for your help!

SilverBear

Postby SilverBear » 14 Sep 2019 16:53

UPDATE:
OK -- I completely removed Firefox ESR and the firefox solydxk adjustments package via Synaptic, deleted my home directory .mozilla subdirectory, rebooted and reinstalled Firefox ESR & the solydXK adjustments package. Bookmarks seem to work normally now.

I don't know exactly where the problem originated, but since no-one else has reported it, it must just have been a SNAFU on my system, not a SolydK10 bug.
Thanks once more for your help, ilu!
:D

SilverBear

Postby SilverBear » 14 Sep 2019 16:56

I'm not seeing anything in "Topic Tools" about how to mark this thread SOLVED. Instructions?

ilu

Re: SOLVED: SolydK10 Firefox ESR bookmarks problem

Postby ilu » 15 Sep 2019 14:44

Just edit your first post and change the topic there.

About the Adwaita theme: that might very well be - I'm not so much into prettiness, so I don't know. As long as something else works ...

Return to “Testing Zone”