KDE Wallet vs KeePassXC and how to use.

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Jag59

KDE Wallet vs KeePassXC and how to use.

Postby Jag59 » 05 Nov 2019 08:12

Is KeePassXC preferable than KDE Wallet of SolydK10 or it is there because it is useful in SolydX10?

Mine is fresh installation of SolydK10.

For using KeePassXC of solydk10, when I click the 'KeePassXC-Browser' icon in firefox 68.2.0esr (64-bit), it displays-
[i]"You are using a old version of KeePassXC.
Please download the latest version from keepassxc.org."[/i]
I am not much interested in downloading anything from other than default repos.
Moreover, it seems, I have to run first KeePassXC, give password, keep it open and at every entry of 'user name', 'password' click KeePassXC icon, though I had selected 'remember' at first run.

So, if KDE Wallet is working properly in SolydK10, is it better to stick to it?

But I am not able to use KDE Wallet even after going through the help files.

While configuring KDE Wallet, I kept only one wallet with default wallet name 'kdewallet' and my 'login password' as it's password.
By default all the 'close wallet' options are deselected in wallet preferences and I didn't change them.

1)Then also at every login I have to open it and give password. Is it required to keep it manually in 'startup' items?

2) What is 'form data', 'passwords', 'binary data' and 'unknown' in wallet manager?
Initially, say, I just want to sign my gmail and solydk forum accounts. Where and how to store urls, usernames and passwords?

3) When I installed 'darktable', automatically it's entry appeared in 'contents' tab of 'Wallet Manager', though yet nothing is present in it except the headings 'form data', 'passwords', 'binary data' and 'unknown'. Should applications firefox and falkon also have their entry here?

4) In Wallet Manager's 'Applications' tab, till now, only kded5 and kwalletmanager5 are connected to the wallet.

5) In falkon's preferences, 'KWallet Passwords 0.12' extension is selected and at KDE Wallet>Contents>Passwords>Maps I have entered url of 'gmail signin' page and ahead of that entered keys with values for 'username' and 'password'. But that does not seem to be working.

6) Just to know the working, in KDE Wallet's 'access control' tab, I have selected 'Prompt when an application accesses a wallet'. There nothing is listed under 'wallet', 'Application' and 'Policy' headings. I don't get any prompt when I try to open my gmail through firefox or falkon.

Please advise.

ilu

Re: KDE Wallet vs KeePassXC and how to use.

Postby ilu » 06 Nov 2019 14:46

KeypassXC has a broader aim than kwallet: It also generates passwords and can be used mobile and on different systems. Whether you need that is up to you but it is widely recommended. I would stick with the debian version though and not download anything. I'm not using keypassXC although I know I probably should.

kwallet on the other hand is integrated into the KDE system and it should work out of the box. That being said I'm sorry I cannot help with kwallet since I do not use KDE.

1. We had similar problems with the XFCE equivalent which we could solve after some heavy testing (viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7585).

2. I don't know but I don't think it has anything to do with "signing" something. It most probably refers to browser data storage.
Edit: Ah you mean sign in with your password. I think the source of the problem is no. 4.

3. I don't think darktable needs to store anything there. Just ignore it.

4. I'd expect the email program and the browsers to connect there, at least falkon. I'm surprised there's a plugin needed, but might be.

5. and 6. I'm just guessing that something went wrong with no. 4.

Sorry again, some KDE user has to step up.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 06 Nov 2019 17:02

ilu wrote:
06 Nov 2019 14:46
KeypassXC has a broader aim than kwallet: It also generates passwords and can be used mobile and on different systems. Whether you need that is up to you but it is widely recommended. I would stick with the debian version though and not download anything.
Indeed, but the KeePassXC in stable is seriously out of date. While I don't usually do this, in this case I would recommend trying the version from testing/sid, which is relatively up to date (only one version behind upstream). The download link for Debian users on the KeePassXC website refers to the same Debian page, by the way.

P.S. There actually exists an application called Keypass (not in the repo), but that is entirely unsuitable.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ilu

Postby ilu » 06 Nov 2019 22:51

To avoid confusion I have edited and changed keypass into keypassXC which I meant anyway. Go for the sid version as grizzler said.
But kwallet should work, can anybody confirm that it does/n't?

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”